Wipro bags Rs.11.8 bn outsourcing dealMarch 13th, 2009 - 10:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, March 13 (IANS) Wipro Infotech has bagged a Rs.11.82-billion (Rs.1,182-crore) IT outsourcing contract from the state-run Employees State Insurance Corp (ESIC), the company said Friday.
In bagging the deal, Wipro outbid India’s other two IT bellwethers Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) and Infosys Technologies in a global tender floated in November 2008 for ESIC’s ‘Project Panchdeep’.
The over six-year contract involves implementing an ambitious project to improve healthcare services to its beneficiaries by providing online facilities to employers and insured people for registration, payment of premium and disbursement of cash benefits.
ESIC, a statutory corporation under the ministry of labour and employment, is the implementing agency for the social security scheme in the country.
Other modules will provide human resources, finance and general administration programmes for increasing the corporation’s efficiency.
The project was mandated by the ESI Act 1948, with a focus on creating a medicare backbone for the marginalised sections of society.
“It is an honour to be awarded one of the prestigious e-governance projects in the country. As a strategic relationship for us, we are committed to making it a showcase in the e-governance domain,” Wipro Infotech vice-president Anand Sankaran said.
“The ministry has been supportive and keen on ensuring a quick roll-out of the project as it directly benefits the citizens,” he added.
The five parts of the project are termed as Pehchan, Milap, Pashan, Dhanwantri and Pragati.
The project includes identification of 10 million subscribers and their family members covered under ESIC and connecting all its locations - the head office, 51 regional, sub-regional and divisional offices, 620 branches, 144 hospitals, 1,388 dispensaries and state directorates.
- Healthcare insurance portal snag rectified: Wipro - Jul 19, 2011
- Kharge lays foundation stone of ESIC Nursing College in Bangalore - Feb 04, 2011
- Kharge inaugurates State-of-the-Art ESIC hospital at Manesar - Mar 28, 2011
- Court directs medical benefits for TB workers - Apr 26, 2012
- Wipro-Canara Bank ink rural banking deal - Mar 10, 2011
- Wipro to digitise crime records under e-governance plan - Aug 02, 2010
- EMC Data solution to automate government work - May 03, 2012
- Wipro wins Microsoft country partner award - Jun 28, 2010
- Wipro leading IT service provider in Saudi Arabia - Dec 05, 2011
- WIPRO computerises five cooperative banks - Jul 31, 2012
- Scheme to pay wages to workers losing jobs - Dec 15, 2008
- New protocol to help Indians workers in UAE - Apr 04, 2012
- Court pulls up ESI hospital for being insensitive - Aug 25, 2009
- Wipro first India Company to offer 100 percent recyclable and toxin-free computers - Feb 11, 2010
- ESI hospitals to extend healthcare to labourers too - Jul 07, 2008
Tags: ambitious project, bellwethers, dispensaries, divisional offices, general administration, global tender, governance projects, implementing agency, infosys technologies, milap, million subscribers, ministry of labour, office 51, registration payment, social security scheme, state insurance, statutory corporation, tata consultancy services, tata consultancy services tcs, wipro infotech