Windfall tax not applicable to private players: petroleum ministryJanuary 12th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 12 (IANS) The ministry of petroleum and natural gas Monday clarified that there was never any proposal to apply windfall tax to private oil producers in the country.Special secretary of the ministry Rita Menon said at a session in Petrotech 2009 that the windfall tax had been a proposal to “formalise” the discounts offered by state-run oil producers as part of the subsidy-sharing mechanism.
It had been also mentioned in the B.K. Chaturvedi committee report on the oil sector, which was yet to be accepted by the government.
As per the proposal, the government would consider taxing a part of the earning if the oil price went above $75 per barrel.
The proposal had gained ground when the oil producers, ONGC and Oil India Ltd. earned profits due to the high prices that reached a peak of $147 last June, which have since gone down drastically to below $39 Monday.
Menon added that it was only applicable to blocks which had been allotted on negotiation or nomination basis.
Cairn Energy’s Rahul Dhir said that there had been a lot of confusion on the issue of applicability of Windfall tax on the private sector, which had a bad effect on India’s image as destination for investment in the oil exploration and production industry.
Menon said the petroleum ministry could write to the finance ministry to clarify this position in the forthcoming budget.
- Windfall tax not applicable to private players: finance ministry (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Jan 12, 2009
- India considering Cairn India-Vedanta merger proposal in a positive frame of mind - Feb 06, 2011
- Supreme Court to hear PIL against Cairn-Vedanta deal - Feb 27, 2012
- Government appoints panel to review oil firm contracts - May 31, 2012
- Cairn chief meets India's oil minister after Vedanta deal - Aug 17, 2010
- Cairn India and PetroSA deal on oil exploration in South Africa - Aug 16, 2012
- India holds bilateral talks with Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Canada - Nov 03, 2010
- Government to set up another panel on oil pricing (Lead) - Jul 06, 2009
- Airlines should tie-up with suppliers to import jet fuel - Feb 16, 2012
- Murli Deora flags off walkathon for 'Petrotech 2010' in New Delhi - Oct 24, 2010
- Private power producers apprise government of their woes - Jan 18, 2012
- Government rolls out plan to help domestic airlines (Roundup) - Feb 07, 2012
- GOM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Obama asks Congress to abolish tax breaks for oil companies - Apr 27, 2011
- Vedanta buys out Cairn's India subsidiary - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: applicability, chaturvedi, committee report, dhir, exploration and production, finance ministry, forthcoming budget, india ltd, menon, oil exploration, oil india, oil price, oil producers, oil sector, ongc, petroleum ministry, petrotech, private players, rahul, windfall tax