Wind to account for 15 percent of Mexico’s electricity mixFebruary 16th, 2012 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Feb 16 (IANS/EFE) Total installed wind power capacity in Mexico will reach some 12,000 megawatts by 2020, equivalent to 15 percent of the country’s electricity mix, an industry expert said.
During the inauguration of the WindPower forum in this capital, the president of the Mexican Wind Energy Association, Leopoldo Rodriguez, said it is necessary to set a target for wind energy’s share of the country’s total power generation to achieve that goal.
This alternative energy sector will create some 45,000 jobs in the areas of components and supply of specialized services, Rodriguez said Tuesday.
He also told Energy Secretary Jordy Herrera that a study of Mexico’s wind energy sector indicates “it’s feasible to set a goal of a 15 percent share of (the total electricity mix) by around 2020″.
According to Rodriguez, it is important to spur output by small wind producers and plan the expansion of the electric grid to make room for contributions from wind energy and other renewable sources.
The study shows that Mexico has sites with conditions for installing at least 12,000 MW of generating capacity by 2020 with just a few adjustments to the current regulatory framework, he said, noting that just 1,000 MW of that proposed total have been installed to date.
“Should that goal be achieved, the wind energy industry could become one of the 10 main recipients of investment (inflows) in Mexico,” Rodriguez said.
He added that that would add 167 billion pesos ($13 billion) to Mexico’s gross domestic product, as well as mitigate the environmental impact of energy output by reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 23 million tons.
“We think the national goal of a 35 percent contribution of clean energies to the country’s total output could be (achieved by) 2020 with the participation of wind energy,” Rodriguez said.
- Mexico's wind energy sector experiencing rapid growth - Feb 09, 2012
- Cuba seeks to boost alternative energy production - Jun 11, 2012
- Spanish firm cuts energy deal in Brazil - Sep 14, 2012
- Mexican oil giant needs $25 bn in annual investment - Feb 08, 2012
- Tamil Nadu's new solar energy policy to add 3,000 MW - Mar 12, 2012
- Construction begins of two 700 MW n-power reactors - Jul 18, 2011
- 348 Wal-Mart stores in Mexico to operate on wind power - May 07, 2010
- Spanish firm sells wind farms in Mexico for $89 mn - Apr 01, 2011
- Kaiga-4 nuke plant synchronised with southern power grid - Jan 19, 2011
- Argentina sees wind energy projects creating 10,000 jobs - Jun 11, 2012
- Honduras signs deal with Chinese firm on hydro plant - Apr 19, 2011
- World's biggest offshore windfarm opens in Britain - Feb 10, 2012
- China to be world's wind power leader in 2010 - Oct 13, 2010
- Windmill makers in Tamil Nadu accused of opaque pricing - Jun 15, 2012
- Wind power banking in Tamil Nadu is unbankable: Tangedco - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,