Why only 15 for licence cancellation, TRAI asks DoTMay 25th, 2011 - 10:17 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The telecom regulator Wednesday said it has asked the Department of Telecom (DoT) to provide licence-wise details for selecting only 15 licenses fit for cancellation out of the 69 recommended by it.
“We have received the letter and have examined it. We have written back to the DoT to give us the case wise details as to why they are saying that certain things cannot be (dealt) because what we got was category wise comment,” said J.S. Sarma, chairman of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI).
“So we have requested them to provide us their details of each licence and also of the legal opinion if any. We are awaiting that information,” he added.
The TRAI had last year recommended to DoT cancellation of 69 licences for not meeting roll-out obligation on time while the DoT has now reduced the list to only 15 licences.
Of the 69 licences, 20 were issued to Loop Telecom, 15 to Etisalat DB, 11 to Sistema-Shyam, 10 to Videocon, eight to Uninor and five to Aircel.
A report of the Comptroller and Auditor General had indicted then communications minister A. Raja for irregularities in the 2G spectrum allocation, which the auditor said caused the exchequer a huge loss.
Raja, DMK parliament member Kanimozhi, and 11 others have been sent to judicial custody in Tihar Jail as accused in the case.
- TRAI examining recommendation to cancel 17 licenses: Sibal - Jun 30, 2011
- Watchdog wants government to cancel more telecom licenses - Jul 15, 2011
- Watghdog wants 69 teleom licences scrapped for poor roll-out (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Shyam-Sistema denies TRAI's charges - Nov 18, 2010
- Government, 11 telecom firms get court notice on 2G spectrum (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Supreme Court issues notice to government, 11 firms in 2G saga (Second Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- Spectrum crisis deepens, TRAI cancels 60 licences (Intro Roundup) - Nov 19, 2010
- Notices soon on errant telecom companies: Sibal - Nov 29, 2010
- Watchdog wants 69 new 2G telecom licences scrapped - Nov 18, 2010
- Telecos paid Rs.73.73 crore penalty for late 2G rollout: Sibal - Jan 01, 2011
- Sibal promises action against errant telecom firms (Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Probe panel on telecom licences to give report in four weeks - Dec 13, 2010
- Sibal meets Ambani, Tata, Mittal on spectrum, telecom issues - Dec 21, 2010
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- Apex court issues notices to government, 11 firms in 2G saga (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
Tags: cancellation, comptroller and auditor general, etisalat, irregularities, judicial custody, kanimozhi, legal opinion, loop telecom, New Delhi, parliament, parliament member, raja, sarma, shyam, spectrum allocation, telecom regulator, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai, videocon