When judge offered Rs.500 to settle a money disputeMarch 15th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) It was a dispute over a paltry amount of Rs.500 between a bank and a customer. And a judge at a special court here Sunday offered the money from his own pocket to setle the case, but in vain.
Jaan Mohammed had taken a personal loan of Rs.36,000 from the ICICI Bank but defaulted after paying some instalments initially.
The case was one among around 400 cases taken up at the special Lok Adalat organised by the Delhi Legal Services Authority to settle money related disputes between banks and its customers.
The ICICI Bank expressed its willingness to accept Rs.7,000 as final payment from Mohammed. But he resisted, saying he would not pay more than Rs.6,500.
The presiding officer, in a bid to settle the dispute and reduce at least by one case the huge backlog of litigations in his court, offered Rs.500 to Jaan Mohammed.
But he refused to take the help and said he was ready to settle the case in a trial court.
“In money matters, one cannot force any party to accept a given amount proposed by the opposite party,” said a judicial officer who was handling one such Lok Adalat at Patiala House Courts complex.
“The decision should be reached wilfully. These cases took lot of time as customers in some cases do not agree even to pay back the principal amount, which is unfair for banks to accept. As a result, pendency of such cases grow up every day,” the official said.
At least 297 cases of private banks were listed for the day. From these 240 were settled. And 89 from 96 cases of public sector banks were settled in the special court.
- Lok Adalat settles 1,400 power bill cases - May 20, 2012
- Special Lok Adalat for power theft convened in Delhi - Jan 14, 2012
- Delhi Lok Adalat disposes 7,900 pending cases - Mar 12, 2011
- Delhi Lok Adalats settle 67,047 cheque-bounce cases - Sep 13, 2012
- 3,092 cases disposed off in Delhi Lok Adalat Sunday - Mar 18, 2012
- Special Lok Adalat for power cases Jan 14-15 - Jan 09, 2012
- Italians pay Rs.1.7mn in damages, boat owner drops case - Apr 27, 2012
- 4,021 cases settled at Lok Adalat in Delhi - May 13, 2012
- Govt. working towards ensuring speedy justice to common man: Moily - Aug 12, 2010
- Tripura Lok Adalats clear 640 revenue cases - Apr 22, 2012
- 4,793 cases settled at Delhi Lok Adalat - Apr 14, 2012
- Mamata defends her remarks on judiciary (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Lok Adalat asked to settle compensation for killed fishermen - Apr 20, 2012
- Retired judge's daughter nabbed on graft charge - Oct 14, 2011
- Over 12,000 bad cheques cases settled in one day - Feb 08, 2009
Tags: backlog, icici bank, instalments, jaan, judicial officer, litigations, lok adalat, mohammed, money dispute, money matters, paltry amount, patiala, pendency, personal loan, presiding officer, private banks, public sector banks, rs 500, rs 6, trial court