West Bengal to develop an IT SEZ in five yearsApril 1st, 2009 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 1 (IANS) The West Bengal Electronics Industry Development Corporation Limited (Webel) will develop an IT special economic zone (SEZ) at Kalyani in Nadia district within next five years at an estimated investment of Rs.4,000-5,000 crore (Rs.4-5 billion), a senior company official said here Wednesday.
“The IT SEZ in Kalyani will be developed in PPP (public-private-partnership) model on 100 acres of land at an investment of Rs.4,000-5,000 crore over a period of five years,” N.R. Banerjee, chairman of Webel, told reporters.
Webel is the nodal IT agency of the state government.
“We have floated an Expression of Interest and received bids from three to four companies till now. We are going to open the financial bid by June 2009,” Banerjee said.
He said 50 percent area in the IT SEZ will be developed by the private developers as an IT park and the rest would be developed by the company for ITes (information technology enabled services) operations .
“A total of 20-25 lakh (2-2.5 million) square feet area will be developed in the project,” Banerjee said.
Asked whether the company has acquired land for the project, he said: “We are in the process (of acquiring land). It is being done by the land and land reforms department of the state. They have assured us of the availability of land.”
Webel has appointed SREI Infrastructure Finance Ltd as a consultant for the project.
Webel as a group had a turnover of Rs.1.5 billion in 2007-08. Apart from the Kalyani project, Webel is also developing IT parks in Siliguri and Durgapur.
The company is set to go for a restructuring and has received the government’s nod for it. “We are waiting for the implementation of the recommendations,” Banerjee said.
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- BEML targeting African, Southeast Asian markets - Jan 30, 2012
- Mamata rules out SEZ for Infosys - Feb 27, 2012
- Want Infosys in Bengal, but won't bend rules: Mamata - Mar 12, 2012
- Honeywell Technology allotted land in Madurai SEZ - Dec 24, 2010
- Karnataka gets Rs.5-trillion worth investment proposals (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Tata Housing to invest Rs.1.5 bn in Chennai - Oct 26, 2010
- Lepakshi Knowledge Hub to set up textile park - Feb 29, 2012
- Tata Realty targets Rs.30,000 crore projects by 2015 - Aug 05, 2010
- Bengal against SEZs, minister tells Infosys - Feb 20, 2012
- West Bengal government to provide land for industries - Jun 12, 2012
- Karnataka to use farm lands as equity in agri ventures (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- SAIL to invest Rs.21,000 crore in West Bengal - May 25, 2012
- Maharashtra axes four SEZs after local opposition - Jul 31, 2012
- TCS signs biggest land deal in Kerala infotech sector - Jan 05, 2011
Tags: banerjee, crore, electronics industry, expression of interest, finance ltd, infrastructure finance, kalyani, land reforms, next five years, nod, nodal, partnership model, private developers, public private partnership, rs 1, siliguri, special economic zone, square feet area, webel, west bengal