West Bengal keen on setting up hydel project in BhutanMay 20th, 2009 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 20 (IANS) West Bengal is keen to take up a hydel power project in Bhutan and wants the central government’s help in this regard, a senior government official said here Wednesday.
“We want to set up a project, with our own investment, in Bhutan and we have asked the government of India to help us,” power secretary Sunil Mitra told reporters here.
West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Co (WBSEDCL) - a state government-run power distribution company - will be the nodal company to implement the project, Mitra said.
“WBSEDCL has made the proposal to the Bhutanese authorities, who have said this has to be through the bilateral framework through the government of India,” he said, adding: “Transmission-wise, it’s a next door neighbour. It makes sense.”
Mitra said about four hydel projects have been identified for that region, though the idea was to develop only one project with a capacity of 600 MW. “We have put them in order of priority and if the central government supports us for any of these, we will go for it.”
The power secretary said the state was keen on such a project as its own hydel power generation potential was limited. “We need to look outwards to set up hydel projects,” Mitra said.
- Free power connection for 15 lakh poor Bengal families - Sep 06, 2011
- Bengal business chambers demand subsidy after power hike - Aug 18, 2010
- West Bengal steel makers for ending power tariff hikes - Jul 23, 2010
- Israel keen to boost agricultural links with Bengal: Envoy - Jun 18, 2012
- L&T; eyes 20 percent growth in electrical, automation business - Jun 13, 2011
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- UP sets 15-day deadline to clear files of investors - Jun 15, 2012
- Northeast may get rail links with Myanmar, Bangladesh - Jul 08, 2012
- 1922 built hydel project re-commissioned - Dec 16, 2011
- Assam power crisis to continue - May 08, 2012
- Bengal nod to extract groundwater divides experts - May 25, 2012
- Schlumberger, ONGC to look for shale gas in Bengal, northeast - Jun 21, 2011
- Nitish Kumar in Bhutan to study hydel projects - May 04, 2011
- Bhutan to showcase investment opportunity in Mumbai road show - Sep 27, 2010
- BJP MP demands urgent attention to Arunachal dam issue - May 09, 2012
Tags: authorities, bhutan, central government, distribution co, distribution company, electricity distribution, government of india, government official, hydel power, hydel projects, keen, kolkata, mitra, mw, power distribution, power generation, power secretary, state government, sunil, west bengal state