West Bengal identifies new tourism spotsJuly 31st, 2010 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 31 (IANS) West Bengal Tourism Minister Manab Mukherjee Saturday said the government is trying to create new tourist destinations in Birbhum and Murshidabad districts.
“We are trying to create new tourist destinations in Birbhum and Murshidabad districts. A flight service from Kolkata to Coochbehar is starting next month. It will also help to open up western parts of Dooars for tourism,” said Mukherjee at a tourism fair here.
“While lakhs of people go to tourist destinations outside the state, many come here during the pujas, the largest festival of Bengal,” said Mukherjee.
Seven countries and 26 states are participating in the three-day travel and tourism Fair (TTF) that started here in Kolkata.
Uttarakhand, the partner state in this year’s TTF, has the largest presence at the fair with over 50 exhibitors. Gujarat continues its aggressive marketing campaign in Kolkata as partner state this year too, with 22 private exhibitors.
“Apart from religious tourism, the state has much more to offer in the form of water sports, trekking and adventure tourism,” said Uttarakhand Minister of Tourism Madan Kaushik.
- Bengal minister in war of words with travel show organisers - Jul 13, 2012
- Bengal hopeful of central funds for tourism development - Mar 02, 2012
- Fully booked: Puja high for Bengal tourism - Sep 28, 2011
- Pranab dons the priest's robe during Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Tourism and travel fair begins in Delhi - Feb 11, 2010
- Long queues in round two of Bengal polls (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- International trade fair begins Monday - Nov 13, 2011
- West Bengal poll battle enters phase two Saturday (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 22, 2011
- West Bengal to focus on Sunderbans to promote tourism - Aug 02, 2008
- Footfall increases in Darjeeling, but whither infrastructure? - Oct 17, 2011
- Polling brisk and peaceful in Bengal (Fourth Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- People vote in large numbers in West Bengal (Third Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- Hope prices come down, Pranab wishes on Bijaya Dasami - Oct 06, 2011
- Abstain from politics of violence, says Mamata - Oct 12, 2011
- Over 85 percent turnout in Bengal's peaceful phase two polling (Intro Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: adventure tourism, aggressive marketing, birbhum, day travel, dooars, exhibitors, flight service, gujarat, lakhs, marketing campaign, minister of tourism, murshidabad, pujas, religious tourism, tourism minister, tourism spots, tourist destinations, travel and tourism, ttf, west bengal tourism