Wendell Rodricks protests against illegal mining, closes boutiqueSeptember 14th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Sep 14 (IANS) World-renowned fashioned signed Wendell Rodricks has closed down his fashion boutique in a hotel co-operated by a mining company in protest against the illegal mining in Goa.
In a press release issued here Friday, the ace designer who also hails from the picturesque riverside village of Colvale, 20 kms from here, said: “We are shutting our Wendell Rodricks Marriott retail store as we were not aware of the mining atrocities. For a better Goa, it is best we part ways.”
Wendell’s action comes a week after Justice M.B. Shah who was commissioned to probe illegal mining in Goa unearthed a Rs 35,000 mining scam here in which several leading mining companies have been named.
Wendell’s store had been operating from the Goa Marriott resort and spa which is managed by the global hospitality giants Marriott in partnership with Dattaraj Salgaocar, whose family manages the V.M. Salgaocar group of companies which runs V.M.Salgaocar & Bro, that in turn operates several mining outfits in the states.
The mining company is one of the several leading companies like the Vedanta Resources owned Sesa Goa as well as family run mining operations like the Timblo’s or Chowgule’s have been hauled up by the Justice M.B. Shah Commission in its report.
- Wendell Rodricks closes boutique to protest illegal mining - Sep 17, 2012
- Government pulls up 20 percent mines - Sep 18, 2011
- FIR against Kamat, Rane within 15 days: Parrikar - Sep 08, 2012
- Commission pegs Goa mining scam at Rs 34,935 crore, BJP wants Kamat booked (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Goa mining scam worth Rs 34,935 crore: Justice Shah Commission - Sep 07, 2012
- (HOLD) Kamat was aware of illegal mining: Shah commission - Sep 08, 2012
- China using up Goa's iron ore: Report - Sep 08, 2012
- '25 mn tonnes illegal ore extracted in five years in Goa' - Nov 23, 2011
- Mining association admits to illegal exports from Goa - Nov 21, 2011
- Goa needs special status to retain its identity: Wendell Rodricks - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: ace, amp, atrocities, bro, chowgule, fashion boutique, giants, global hospitality, goa marriott resort, leading companies, marriott, mining companies, mining company, picturesque riverside village, Press Release, protests, resort and spa, retail store, vedanta resources, wendell rodricks