Weavers enabled to generate electricityNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:19 am ICT by admin
Operation of the charka for four hours can generate electricity to operate a Light-Emitting Diode (LED) light and play a radio for over seven hours.
The ‘E-charka’ was developed jointly by R.S.Hiremath, a Bangalore-based entrepreneur and Khadi and Village Industries Corporation (KVIC).
“This is more than adequate for rural homes,” said Hiremath, a two time National Award winner for his inventions.
It took two years to develop the cost effective-eco friendly charka with a dynamo that reduces 30 tonnes of carbon dioxide.
Inspired from Indian and Japanese technology, but modified, the cost of charka is Rs.3000.
The ‘E-charka’ was conceptualised by Flexitron, an aligned products manufacturer for rural areas.
KVIC has partnered with Flexitron to market the products. The six-eight kg ‘E-charka’ need zero maintenance and the battery has a five year warranty.
Earlier, Chairperson of KVIC had said, “E-charka will not only increase production but can also produce electricity enough for running a bulb or a radio set”.
Over 1.2 million rural folk in India spin charka to earn their daily bread. (ANI)
- Magsaysay awardee plans to electrify 1,000 rural homes - Nov 21, 2011
- Spinning wheel in Andhra Pradesh generates electricity - Nov 25, 2008
- Solar 'charkhas' to produce 'green clothes' - Oct 02, 2010
- iPod and other gadgets could soon be 'charged by pinch of the fingers' - Mar 30, 2011
- Heart beat, finger pinch could help charge iPods, mobiles - Mar 30, 2011
- Hybrid spintronic computer chips a step closer to reality - Apr 14, 2011
- ONGC to set up n-plant, fertilizer unit, solar projects - Dec 29, 2011
- Wipro partners with Oracle to offer analytics solutions - Sep 03, 2010
- New iPad tops tablet ratings - Apr 03, 2012
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- Now, 'batteries' that deliver power after vigorous shake - Jul 22, 2010
- First-ever measurement of magnetic field inside Earth's core - Dec 17, 2010
- Engineers find nanolasers for faster microprocessors - Feb 07, 2011
- Green LED TVs and computers 'a step closer to reality' - Apr 26, 2011
- Physicists prove the existence of magnetically charged spin battery - Mar 12, 2009
Tags: c generator, charka, daily bread, diode led, eco friendly, generate electricity, industries corporation, japanese technology, khadi, kvic, lead acid batteries, led light, light emitting diode, national award winner, products manufacturer, radio set, seven hours, three phase, weavers, zero maintenance