We don’t fix power tariff: Himachal governmentJune 3rd, 2008 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, June 3 (IANS) Facing criticism from the opposition Congress over the recent hike in electricity rates for domestic consumers, the Himachal Pradesh government Tuesday clarified that “it does not determine the tariff”. The rates for domestic consumers have been hiked by 20-30 paise and for industries by 20-25 paise per unit.
Himachal Pradesh State Electricity Board’s (HPSEB) chairman Ajay Mittal said: “The state government does not determine the tariff. It has been done by the Himachal Pradesh Electricity Regulatory Commission.”
He said the HPSEB tariff petition had not proposed any hike for the domestic consumers.
The chairman said the government was providing a subsidy of Rs.14 billion a year to the HPSEB as domestic consumers were not charged the full price of the electricity they got.
In order to reduce the burden on the consumers, the state government had started ‘Atal Bijli Bachat Yojna’ under which every household would be provided four CFL bulbs free of cost to cut down their power billa.
The Congress has threatened to launch an agitation against the “anti-people decision of the government”.
- Himachal should promote use of biomass fuel: Gadkari - May 09, 2012
- Power tariff hiked in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 10, 2010
- Campaign to promote fluorescent lamps - Jul 07, 2011
- Himachal launches green policy on used CFL lamps - Dec 11, 2011
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- In the name of Atal: Dhumal 'signs' in praise (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Himachal saves Rs.1 bn-worth power through CFLs - Jan 03, 2010
- Industry demands roll back in Goa power hike - May 08, 2012
- Chhattisgarh's domestic power tariff up 22 percent - Apr 08, 2011
- People protest power tariff hike in Rajasthan - Aug 09, 2012
- Power tariff goes up in Punjab - May 09, 2011
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Opposition to agitate if power tariff hiked in Jharkhand - Apr 27, 2010
- Dhumal reviews Himachal power shortage - Oct 15, 2011
Tags: agitation, ajay, cfl bulbs, domestic consumers, electricity rates, electricity regulatory commission, himachal pradesh government, household, hpseb, june 3, mittal, opposition congress, paise, petition, power tariff, state electricity board, state government, subsidy