Water from Mettur Dam to be released June 6May 22nd, 2011 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, May 22 (IANS) The Tamil Nadu government Sunday decided to release water from Mettur Dam June 6, ahead of the usual date of June 12, so that farmers in the Cauvery delta area can take up “kuruvai” (short-term paddy crop) cultivation.
The decision was taken at the meeting of the new cabinet headed by J.Jayalalithaa here.
According to an official statement, the government decided to release the water from the Mettur Dam taking into consideration the current water level, the southwest monsoon and the water to be released by the Karnataka government as per the award given by the Cauvery Water Tribunal.
The kuruvai crop is raised in the Thanjavur region in Tamil Nadu.
The government also decided to appoint an expert committee to study the ways to improve the standard of education system in the state and postponed the implementation of DMK government’s “Samacheer Kalvi” (uniform syllabus).
- Centre ignoring livelihood issues: Jayalalithaa - Jul 24, 2012
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
- 'Tamil Nadu won't allow Mekedatu dam across Cauvery' - Mar 30, 2012
- Karunanidhi fooling people over Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Oct 28, 2010
- PM asked to tell Kerala to halt irrigation scheme - Jun 21, 2012
- Appoint chairman for Cauvery panel: Jayalalithaa - Apr 20, 2012
- Verdict on uniform school syllabus in Tamil Nadu welcomed - Aug 09, 2011
- Will move apex court again on Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Sep 19, 2012
- Karnataka for new formula for Cauvery water sharing - Sep 11, 2012
- Jayalalithaa hits out at DMK government on Cauvery issue - Jul 17, 2010
- Andhra court stays release of water to Krishna delta - Jul 16, 2012
- Cauvery River Authority to meet Wednesday after 9 years - Sep 18, 2012
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Cauvery river panel meets on Tamil Nadu's call - Sep 19, 2012
- Advise Kerala against new dam, Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: cauvery water tribunal, chennai, crop cultivation, delta area, education system, expert committee, farmers, implementation, j jayalalithaa, karnataka government, mettur dam, new cabinet, paddy crop, southwest monsoon, syllabus, taking into consideration, tamil nadu government, water level