Water charges in Kerala to go up drasticallySeptember 24th, 2008 - 6:10 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 24 (IANS) The left government in Kerala Wednesday gave the nod to a drastic increase in water charges across the board — but those ‘below the poverty line’, consuming less than 10,000 liters a month, will get it for free.The decision follows the state committee of the Left Democratic Front last month giving the green signal to the government for the hike in tariff in both domestic and non-domestic sectors. The water charges were last raised in 1999.
The charges will go up from 20 per cent to 138 per cent in various slabs of the Kerala Water Authority (KWA) in the domestic sector and 25 per cent to 135 per cent in the non-domestic sector.
“We have no other option but to raise charges on account of huge outstanding that the KWA owes to the State Electricity Board. The KWA has to shell out every month an additional Rs.11.50 crore (Rs.115 million) towards electricity charges after the Board raised its charges,” State Water Resources Minister N.K. Premachandran told reporters here.
- Power tariff in Tamil Nadu goes up - Mar 30, 2012
- Haryana asks ITES units to change power connections - Apr 27, 2011
- Consumers to pay more for power in Bihar - Jun 01, 2011
- People protest power tariff hike in Rajasthan - Aug 09, 2012
- Haryana residents take to the streets over power woes - Jul 05, 2012
- Chhattisgarh's domestic power tariff up 22 percent - Apr 08, 2011
- Pakistan's 2010-11 budget to levy fresh taxes of $1.6 bn: Report - May 28, 2010
- Plan panel okays Rs.14,010 crore outlay for Kerala - Apr 20, 2012
- CAG pulls up Coal India for avoidable expenditure - Sep 04, 2012
- European companies make a bee line for Kannur airport - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Solar grid parity by 2017, says ministry - Aug 30, 2012
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- CESC net up 137 percent in Q4 backed by tariff hike - May 08, 2012
- Industry demands roll back in Goa power hike - May 08, 2012