Was told telcos sold stake to finance roll-out: PMFebruary 16th, 2011 - 4:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 16 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, referring to the 2G scam, Wednesday said he was told some telecom operators sold their stake to other companies to finance their roll-out obligations and therefore, he did not interfere. “I was told that they (telcom operators) have not sold it (stake) to stakeholders, they have sold it in a manner to dilute the equity of the promoters. Now if they have to roll-out (services), they require money and that money can be raised by the way of borrowing or by diluting equity,” the prime minister said at a press conference.
“Therefore at that stage I did not think that I should interfere in that matter,” he added.
The companies that got spectrum in 2008 have been accused trying to make a quick buck through it as they sold significant stakes in the telecom firms to foreign joint venture partners or other entities.
According to Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Unitech was allotted Unified Access Service licenses in 22 circles for Rs.1,658 crore and offloaded 60 percent of its stake to Norway’s Telenor for Rs.6,100 crore even before roll-out.
Similarly another telecom operator, Swan, was alloted licenses in 13 circles for Rs.1,537 crore and sold 45 percent of its equity to Etisalat for Rs.4,200 crore. The company was later renamed Etilsalat DB Telecom Pvt. Ltd.
Shahid Usman Balwa, managing director of DB Realty, which owns Swan Telecom, is already in CBI custody.
Similar to Swan Telecom and Unitech, another licensor, Datacom, later became Videocon Mobile and S Tel now has a large stake by Bahrain Telecom. The other companies under the scanner are Tata Tele, Idea Cellular, Loop Telecom, Shyam Telelink and Spice.
The 2G scam involves alleged irregularities in the allocation of second generation spectrum to telecom companies that caused huge losses to the national exchequer.
- Unitech managing director being questioned - Feb 15, 2011
- PM deflects blame in 2G scam, says Raja promised transparency (Roundup) - Feb 16, 2011
- What the 2G spectrum case is all about - May 20, 2011
- What is the 2G spectrum scam about? - Nov 15, 2010
- Only fresh equity, not spectrum, sold by phone firms: Chidambaram - Jul 25, 2011
- Raja pulls PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- Ahluwalia defends Swan, Unitech on stake sale after spectrum allocation - Jan 16, 2011
- 2G scam: CBI points finger at Maran, seeks more time (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- What is the 2G scam all about - Feb 02, 2011
- Raja drags PM, Chidambaram into 2G scam (Intro Roundup) - Jul 25, 2011
- 2G scam: Anil Ambani to appear before PAC - Apr 05, 2011
- Shahid Balwa's bail plea defered till Saturday - May 03, 2011
- CBI court sends Raja, aides to 5-day custody (Third Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- 2G transactions known to PM, Chidambaram: Raja (Lead) - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: central bureau of investigation, crore, idea cellular, joint venture partners, licensor, loop telecom, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rs 6, shyam, tele idea, telecom companies, telecom firms, telecom operator, telecom operators, telecom pvt, telelink, unitech, videocon