Wartsila India wants to sell gensets to power utilitiesJune 10th, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, June 9 (IANS) Diesel engine-maker Wartsila India Ltd. will focus on power utilities as a strategy to increase the demand for its gensets, a top company official said Thursday.
Speaking to reporters here, Managing Director Rakesh Sarin said: “We will be focusing on the power utilities this year. We will propagate the message of smart power generation - having a optimal mix of energy sources.”
According to him, the nation should have a mix of power units using different fuels - coal, gas, renewable (solar and wind) and diesel.
He said the government should have a separate peak power tariff policy so that there will be power plants catering to the peak power demand in the country.
Sarin said the current tariff policy caters only to the power utilities that cater to the base load demand which in turn prevents those wanting to put up power plants to meet the peaking demand.
According to him, there was coal shortage to the extent of around 20 percent and the availability of natural gas from the KG Basin in Andhra Pradesh at constant levels was uncertain given the fall in gas production there.
He said power utilities could look at having power generating stations with diesel engines to meet the peak demand.
He said there could be small power plants at various demand centres.
- Wartsila India to add 500 MW power in O&M; division - Jun 27, 2012
- China to face power crisis this winter - Sep 30, 2011
- Coal shortage could hit hard power projects - Oct 09, 2011
- Wartsila looking at Rajasthan as energy hub - Nov 30, 2010
- Ambani seeks higher power tariff to ensure industry's health - Sep 04, 2012
- FICCI calls for radical policy reforms in energy sector - May 07, 2012
- Raise power capacity on war footing: India Inc - Jul 31, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- OPG Power to increase capacity to 740 MW by 2013 - Jul 20, 2012
- NTPC order will be met with local, imported machines: BGR - Sep 15, 2011
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- Coal India coal import plans face opposition - Sep 14, 2012
- Calcutta power utility earns Rs.4,000 crore in FY11 - Apr 29, 2011
- India's power situation grim, efforts on to ease crunch - Oct 14, 2011
- Gas allocation not possible for power projects, says minister - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,