Want to move business to London? Mayor offers free officesMarch 11th, 2009 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 11 (IANS) The mayor of London Wednesday urged foreign businesses to relocate to the British capital, saying he will provide a year’s free office space and expert advice.
Boris Johnson’s offer came as the latest cost of living survey revealed London is cheaper to live in than New York City for the first time since 2002.
The mayor’s office said an action plan to encourage more overseas companies to locate in London includes an offer of up to 12 months of free office space and facilities, along with the use of a dedicated advisor to support firms through the process of establishing a London operation.
Johnson said, “My message to overseas businesses is loud and clear. You will not only receive the warmest of welcomes but we will do all we can to ensure you get off to a flying start in the capital and are successful.”
The mayor’s office said the British pound’s depreciation of 27 percent against the US dollar and 15 percent against the euro in the past seven months means foreign cash now goes further in London.
Think London, the foreign direct investment agency for the British capital, is next week hosting a high-profile delegation of around 40 Chinese business executives interested in relocating to London, Johnson’s office said.
It said 95 Chinese companies have engaged with Think London to explore setting up an office in the capital within the next two years following a road show in China.
“Building on the success of Road to London, Think London in the coming months will be rolling out a road show in North America to reach out to potential investors and showcase the investment opportunities in London, including the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games,” a spokeswoman said.
- Overseas businesses in London see benefits from 2012 Olympics - Jun 17, 2011
- British PM plays tennis with London mayor - Sep 09, 2011
- 'High-tech' London creates 1,300 new jobs - Nov 15, 2011
- London Mayor upbeat over upcoming Olympics - Jul 20, 2012
- Beckham, five young guns to bring Olympic Flame to UK - May 16, 2012
- Olympic rings launched on Thames - Feb 29, 2012
- London shuts down business offices in New Delhi, Mumbai - Feb 07, 2010
- London shuts down business offices in New Delhi, Mumbai (Lead, correcting para one) - Feb 07, 2010
- London mayor joins preparation for 2012 Games - Mar 17, 2012
- Final Harry Potter to get biggest send-off at Trafalgar Square - Mar 02, 2011
- Rupert Murdoch wants Boris to lead the Tories - Aug 01, 2012
- British guard stuns paperless Cameron - Jul 31, 2012
- Mayor of London to present Wills, Kate with bicycle made for two - Apr 25, 2011
- British bank chief's high bonus criticized (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- London mayor left hanging in mid-air - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: boris johnson, business executives, china building, chinese business, chinese companies, depreciation, expert advice, foreign direct investment, free office space, investment agency, investment opportunities, london march, london mayor, london operation, mayor of london, overseas businesses, paralympic games, relocating to london, seven months, think london