Wal-Mart set to open its first Indian wholesale outletMay 21st, 2009 - 4:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 21 (IANS) Wal-Mart, the world’s largest retailer, is set to open its first wholesale or cash-and-carry store in India next week and has chosen Amritsar as the location to kick-start the venture, company officials said.
The US-based giant has also decided to call its cash-and-carry venture BestPrice Modern Wholesale to offer retailers bargains that would eventually benefit end consumers, the officials added.
The venture is in collaboration with the Bharti group that has interests in telecom, retail, agro-trade and realty industries. The US giant and Bharti had formed the 50:50 joint venture in 2007 to launch a chain of wholesale stores in India.
Officials said more than dozen such large stores, spread over 50,000 to 100,000 sq ft were planned in the country over the next five years. They said only retailers who have a sales tax number would be served at these stores.
India does not permit foreign equity in multi-brand retailing, estimated to be a $350-billion industry and seen doubling in size by 2015. Only 5 percent of the market is in the organised segment, with mom-and-pop stores accounting for the bulk of the shops.
- Wal-Mart to target 35,000 Indian farmers for agri-business supply chain by 2015 - Oct 26, 2010
- French retailer Carrefour opens first wholesale store in India - Dec 30, 2010
- Bharti Walmart launches global money transfer service - May 24, 2011
- Bharti, Wal-Mart defer launch of first wholesale store - May 25, 2009
- Fact sheet on India's retail trade industry - Nov 24, 2011
- India opens doors to global retail chains (Roundup) - Nov 24, 2011
- Court notice to Bharti Walmart - Jul 11, 2012
- Bharti Walmart planning more wholesale stores, Punjab is focus - Aug 06, 2010
- Finance ministry okays FDI in multi-brand retail - Nov 17, 2011
- No change in India's foreign investment policy in retail - Nov 08, 2009
- Walmart training centre opens in New Delhi - Jul 23, 2010
- Top retailers seek 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Big-ticket reforms can alter perception of policy paralysis' - Nov 20, 2011
- 'FDI will help modernise retail sector, curb inflation' - Jul 23, 2011
- Government for FDI in multi-brand retail, invites feedback - Jul 06, 2010
Tags: bargains, bharti group, cash and carry store, collaboration, company officials, consumers, giant, joint venture, mom, New Delhi, next five years, pop stores, sales tax, segment, sq ft, venture company, wal mart, wholesale, wholesale outlet, wholesale stores