Volvo India expecting flat growth this fiscalJune 17th, 2009 - 5:08 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 17 (IANS) Volvo is not very optimistic about any significant growth in India this fiscal in view of the global economic slowdown, a senior company official has said.
Addressing the media Tuesday, Volvo Trucks India president Somnath Bhattacharjee said the demand for heavy commercial vehicles had dropped significantly, and Volvo had not been spared.
“This year we expect a flat growth, as India’s heavy duty truck market has declined 50 percent in the first five months,” Bhattacharjee said.
“We don’t see a slowdown in the premium truck market because it is contract-driven. We cater to big corporate and high priority segments like mining.”
Bhattacharjee was in Goa to unveil Volvo’s new dealership in the state, which has a sizeable mining industry that requires heavy vehicles.
Maintaining that Volvo has done its homework as far as India was concerned, he said his company has created a niche segment in the country.
“This segment is fundamentally connected to power, infrastructure and urban development, which have not been much affected by the meltdown.”
Bhattacharjee said the recent parliamentary elections had impacted sales as decision-making had been slackened, but added that the situation would improve.
“The general elections ensured the contracts and other tenders were deferred. All purchases were postponed, but June and July should see us fare better,” he said.
- Shriram Transport Finance to expand into rural areas - Jul 25, 2012
- Volvo ropes in Srei BNP Paribas to offer finance - May 11, 2011
- Volvo Eicher eyes 15 percent share of heavy commercial vehicles market - May 11, 2012
- Australian mining giant squirms at India's slow growth - May 18, 2012
- Tata Motors halts production at Jamshedpur plant - Jun 28, 2012
- Mahindra Navistar to beef up product distribution range - Jan 24, 2011
- Piaggio re-enters Indian market with Vespa scooter - Jan 06, 2012
- Swedish firm to manufacture vehicles in Karnataka - Jan 31, 2012
- Wheels India to invest Rs.70 crore on expansion - Oct 27, 2011
- Daimler to beef up its R&D; activities in India (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Mahindra to target captive segment for Genio pickup - Jan 28, 2011
- Carmaker Volvo to expand footprint across India - Jul 21, 2009
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- Sharma seeks differential rate for industry as output falls - May 11, 2012
- Tata Motors launch Manza, Prima in South Africa - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: bhattacharjee, commercial vehicles, five months, general elections, global economic slowdown, goa, heavy duty truck, heavy vehicles, high priority, mining industry, niche, panaji, parliamentary elections, power infrastructure, somnath, tenders, urban development, volvo, volvo india, volvo trucks