Voluntary sector seeks tax relief in BudgetJanuary 17th, 2012 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 17 (IANS) Representatives from voluntary and social sector organisations Tuesday urged Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to provide tax relief to the sector.
A group of 24 representatives met the finance minister as part of the pre-Budget consultations and urged him that the voluntary organisations should be given relief under the Income Tax Act.
“Voluntary sector is suffering from a very serious existential crisis emerging out of recent changes made in the Income Tax Act,” said Rajesh Tandon, president of voluntary organisation PRIA.
“Several genuine voluntary organisations have reached the situation where their existence is in danger as they are not left with any option to run their business in the country. If this is not addressed, it might lead to the end of the voluntary development movement in the country,” he said.
Harsh Jaitli, CEO of Voluntary Action Network India (VANI), said: “This amendment has disastrous impact on voluntary organisations engaged in socio-economic development of the country.”
During the meeting, the finance minister said that the country’s development strategy would be focused on “providing good health, education and development of skills of its citizens,” according to an official statement released after the meeting.
- Cuba approves new tax law - Jul 24, 2012
- Mukherjee holds a pre-budget meeting with NGOs - Jan 22, 2010
- Push key reforms: Industry's budget wish list - Feb 03, 2012
- MSMEs want separate pre-budget meeting with finance minister - Jan 14, 2012
- Banks pitch for tax free infra bonds - Jan 19, 2012
- Tax exemption sought for road safety - Mar 05, 2012
- Mukherjee's budget promises tax relief, subsidy cut, reforms (Fourth Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Tax telecom sector more to recover fuel losses, Greenpeace urges - Jan 18, 2012
- Karnataka minister bats for micro-finance loans - Jun 17, 2011
- Direct tax code to come into force from April 2012: Pranab - Dec 07, 2011
- Mukherjee puts money in one pocket, takes out from others (Roundup) - Mar 16, 2012
- Maharashtra seeks corporate help to tackle malnutrition - Dec 30, 2011
- Government to issue infrastructure bonds with tax benefits - Jul 09, 2010
- Service tax rate raised by two percent (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Review local levies to control inflation: Mukherjee to states - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: consultations, development strategy, disastrous impact, economic development, existential crisis, finance minister, good health, health education, income tax act, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, pria, sector organisations, social sector, tax relief, vani, voluntary action, voluntary organisation, voluntary organisations, voluntary sector