Volkswagen eyeing 20 percent market share by 2018February 15th, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 15 (IANS) German automobile manufacturing group Volkswagen is eyeing 20 percent market share in India by 2018 in terms of volume, a top company official said Tuesday.”The size of the passenger car industry in India will be five million units by 2018 and we as a group are aiming at capturing 20 percent market share then,” Neeraj Garg, director of Volkswagen Passenger Cars India, told reporters here.
“Now as a brand, our market share is two percent,” he said.
Noting the company started its operation two years back in India, he said: “In 2009, we sold about 3,000 Polo and Vento cars and last year we sold 32,000 cars.”
The carmaker has seven cars in its portfolio.
“We have a widest range of price point - from Rs.4.5 lakh to Rs.75 lakh,” Garg said.
The company has two manufacturing plants in India - one in Pune and the other in Aurangabad.
“In our Pune plant, which has the total capacity of manufacturing 110,000 cars, we recently made an investment to the tune of Rs.3,800 crore,” Garg said.
He said the company had 14 dealers in 2009 and last year, the figure reached 70.
- Volkswagen to reduce Polo, Vento prices to boost sales - Sep 04, 2012
- Volkswagen to launch new Jetta variant mid-2011 - Apr 08, 2011
- Volkswagen to invest over Rs.700 crore in India - Sep 06, 2012
- Volkswagen June sales rise 166 percent - Jul 01, 2011
- Volkswagen to launch Polo, Vento variants - Sep 07, 2011
- Polo prices up by 2.9 percent from Jan 1 - Dec 15, 2010
- Volkswagen Group India achieves impressive sales growth of 180.7 per cent in 2010 - Jan 22, 2011
- Volkswagen India plans to double distribution network - Sep 25, 2009
- Volkswagen to increase market share to 20 per cent by 2018 - Oct 27, 2010
- Hyundai India eyes 10 percent growth in FY12 - Oct 18, 2011
- Toyota's second production unit in India to be ready by Dec - Aug 29, 2010
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Manesar violence blow to Maruti, may hit Japanese investment - Jul 20, 2012
- Metro Tyres to invest Rs.100 crore to expand production - Jul 05, 2012
- Mahindra eyeing African market for new SUV - Sep 29, 2011
Tags: aurangabad, automobile manufacturing, car industry, carmaker, crore, german automobile, India, lakh, manufacturing group, manufacturing plants, market share, passenger car, passenger cars, polo, pune plant, seven cars, vento, volkswagen