Vodka prices set for 30 percent hike in RussiaMay 30th, 2012 - 2:32 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 30 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia, a country of vodka drinkers, will increase the minimum price of the drink by around 30 percent this year.
According to a draft resolution prepared by the Federal Service for Alcohol Market Regulation, the retail prices of the most popular vodka brands will rise 28 percent to at least 125 rubles ($4) per 0.5 litres from the current price of 98 rubles, the Kommersant business daily reported.
The Russian alcohol market regulator normally adjusts minimum vodka prices from Jan 1 due to higher excise duties on alcohol.
This year, excise duties will be raised twice, Jan 1 and July 1.
To set the upper boundary of the minimum price, the regulator took into account the interests of all legal alcohol makers, including businesses working in Russia that are unable to distribute their products further afield, a source in the Federal Service for Alcohol Market Regulation told the paper.
Then prime minister Vladimir Putin said in 2009 that large revenues from counterfeit alcohol products were feeding both corruption and crime while inferior alcohol sold by shadow vodka producers was inflicting irreparable damage on the health of Russians.
- Russia to raise liquor, cigarette tax - Apr 29, 2012
- Sharp drop in vodka production, Russian alcohol makers - Apr 05, 2012
- 30,000 bottles of fake vodka seized in Russia - Jun 27, 2012
- Russian state oil firm to buy back shares worth $2 bn - Jun 01, 2012
- Russian firm to name alcoholic drink after Gaddafi - Nov 23, 2011
- Russia may raise duties on beer - Aug 01, 2012
- Russia-Cuba to sign deal to make rifle ammunition - Dec 01, 2011
- Alcohol consumption drops in Russia - Dec 29, 2011
- Space industry a priority for Russia: Putin - May 01, 2011
- Kremlin creates its own vodka - Feb 15, 2012
- 'Extremist' author files Russian presidential papers - Nov 29, 2011
- Russian budget deficit expected at 1 percent of GDP - Feb 02, 2012
- Russia launches hotline to fight drug promotion - Jun 01, 2011
- Russia to regulate internet - Apr 30, 2011
- Russian Muslim region MPs seek alcohol ban - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: alcohol products, corruption, draft resolution, excise duties, inferior alcohol, irreparable damage, july 1, market regulator, prime minister, producers, retail prices, ria novosti russia, rubles, russia moscow, russians, upper boundary, vladimir putin, vodka brands, vodka prices, working in russia