Vodafone like deals under govt scanner for tax evasionSeptember 13th, 2010 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 13 (IANS) Buoyed by the Bombay High Court’s recent favourable verdict on Vodafone’s tax liability case, the government has started examining similar merger and acquisition deals for possible tax evasion.
Vodafone type of deals are being closely scrutinised from tax evasion point of view and quite a good number of such cases are in the process of finalisation to make sure that the government does not lose its legitimate revenues, Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes S.S.N. Moorthy said Monday.
The Bombay High Court last week set aside Vodafone’s petition challenging the tax liability of $2.6 billion towards capital gains in its $11-billion acquisition of Hutchison Whampoa’s 67-percent stake in India.
Moorthy said there is no plan to serve a show-cause notice to Vodafone and the company would be given eight weeks time to abide by the court verdict.
“Thereafter, CBDT would insist upon recovering the evaded tax amount even if the company threatens to move the Supreme Court,” Moorthy said at an Assocham event.
Though the CBDT chairman refused to specify the companies under scanner for the possible tax evasion, it is believed that the government is examining companies like breweries giant SABMiller, GE and AT&T for their acquisitions in India over the past few years.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Vodafone plea in $2.6-bn Indian tax case dismissed (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- Indian court dismisses Vodafone petition on $2.6 bn tax case - Sep 08, 2010
- Apex court rejects Vodafone plea in $2.6 bn tax case - Sep 27, 2010
- Government studying court ruling on Vodafone tax dispute - Jan 25, 2012
- Vodafone was told about tax liability in Hutchison deal - May 02, 2012
- Vodafone tax verdict to impact on similar merger deals: experts - Jan 20, 2012
- Government seeks review of Supreme Court's Vodafone verdict (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Government seeks review of Supreme Court's Vodafone verdict - Feb 17, 2012
- India's apex court saves Vodafone $2.2-bn tax burden (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- Vodafone vows to defend position on tax issue - Sep 27, 2010
- Vodafone files petition against tax authorities move - Oct 15, 2010
- Government plea on Vodafone tax verdict dismissed (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Government's plea for Vodafone verdict review dismissed (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Government examining cross-border deals for tax evasion - Dec 03, 2010
- Supreme Court says Vodafone must pay up in Rs. 12,000 crore tax case - Sep 27, 2010
Tags: acquisition deals, acquisitions, asian news, bombay high court, breweries, capital gains, court verdict, direct taxes, gk, hutchison whampoa, indo, liability case, merger and acquisition, moorthy, New Delhi, sabmiller, srj, tax evasion, tax liability, vodafone