Vodafone confident of no tax liability in Essar buyout (Lead)November 15th, 2010 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 15 (IANS) Telecom service provider Vodafone Monday said it is confident that there is no tax liability resulting from its acquisition of Hutchison Wampoa’s majority stake in Hutch Essar in India and it would wait till the Supreme Court hears the issue Feb 24, 2011.
“Vodafone is confident that there is no tax liability resulting from this transaction and all the tax and legal advice it has received remains consistent with this view,” said the company in a statement.
“After today’s hearing, Vodafone looks forward to the matter being heard in full on the 24th February, when the central issue of jurisdiction will be thoroughly reviewed by the Supreme Court,” it added.
Earlier, during the day the Supreme Court asked Vodafone to provide a deposit of Rs.2,500 crore ($550 million) as part of a tax liability in the takeover of Hutch Essar group’s India operations within three weeks, which will be returned in full, with interest, if the Supreme Court finds in Vodafone’s favour.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia also said Vodafone has to provide a bank guarantee of Rs.8,500 crore to the government. The cash amount of Rs.2,500 crore has to be deposited in three weeks and the bank guarantee within eight weeks, it said.
- Supreme Court asks Vodafone to deposit Rs.2,500 crore - Nov 15, 2010
- Supreme Court asks Vodafone to deposit Rs.2,500 crore (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Nothing colourable in takeover, Vodafone tells apex court (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- India's apex court saves Vodafone $2.2-bn tax burden (Roundup) - Jan 20, 2012
- SC directs Vodafone to deposit 2,500 cr, bank guarantee of 8,500 cr - Nov 15, 2010
- Vodafone needn't pay tax for Hutch acquisition: Supreme Court - Jan 20, 2012
- Government plea on Vodafone tax verdict dismissed (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Nothing colourable in takeover, Vodafone tells apex court - Aug 03, 2011
- Government's plea for Vodafone verdict review dismissed (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Apex court adjourns Vodafone plea on income tax order (Lead) - Oct 25, 2010
- Government seeks review of Supreme Court's Vodafone verdict (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- On Vodafone ruling, father-son Bhushans don't see eye to eye - Mar 23, 2012
- Supreme Court dismisses petition in Vodafone case - Mar 02, 2012
- I-T authorities can dissect any takeover deal: Apex court - Aug 04, 2011
- Vodafone moves Supreme Court against tax claim - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: apex, apex court, bank guarantee, chief justice, court bench, essar group, favour, hutch essar, hutchison wampoa, india operations, issue feb, kapadia, legal advice, majority stake, New Delhi, rs 2, rs 8, tax liability, telecom service provider, vodafone