Vocational training for 1 mn Indians with Swiss helpNovember 7th, 2011 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 7 (IANS) Switzerland will help the Indian government and corporate sector run a joint programme to provide vocational training to one million Indians by 2022, the Swiss embassy said Monday.
Announcing the successful completion of a pilot programme of giving industry-oriented skill training to locals in Karnataka, Maharashtra and Gujarat, the embassy said that the programme will now be extended to other states.
The pilot programme picked up apprentices from local Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and attached them with industries to provide vocational on-job training.
“The approach that is used is to deliver the skill training is structured on the Swiss model and envisages a three-way partnership between company (which has hired the apprentice), the local ITI, and the project office,” Franz Probst, project head from the Swiss Skills Vocational Education and Training Initiative, said.
The apprentices are provided three to four days practical training in the industry he is attached to, and one or two day of theory classes.
So far, 150 youth are enrolled with the programme. The training includes on job skills, vocational skill as well as training in soft skills. Upon completion of the training the apprentices are given a diploma which is endorsed by Swiss vocational training organisation Swissmem.
G.P. Chandra Kumar from Skillsonics, an Indian firm assisting in the programme, said the focus is also on introducing new models of training, which may include a three-year programme after class 10.
“The students will be taken for a three year programme after class 10. They will be given a diploma, and it will have great value in the industry,” Chandra Kumar said.
- Programme to train 150 million school drop-outs - Oct 08, 2011
- 'Construction equipment industry needs more skilled workforce' - Nov 26, 2011
- Human resources most powerful tools for economic development: Mallikarjun Kharge - Apr 07, 2011
- National vocational education project launched in Haryana - Sep 03, 2012
- Assam joins Pearson Group for skill training in schools - Jul 21, 2012
- Haryana to set up 13 Industrial Training Institutes - Sep 18, 2010
- Coming up, 100 more skill development centres - May 25, 2012
- Collaboration for upgradation of ITIs - Nov 08, 2011
- IGNOU starts admissions for information security courses - Jun 18, 2012
- Wipro trust, Nascscom to hone IT skills of graduates - Apr 18, 2011
- Indian, Australian institutes sign pact - Nov 16, 2011
- Framework for vocational education launched - Feb 07, 2012
- Haryana to increase industrial training seats by nearly 100,000 - Aug 04, 2010
- Karnataka employment exchange secures jobs for 60 people - Nov 11, 2010
- Government to set up 10 community colleges for skill development - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: apprentice, apprentices, chandra, corporate sector, gujarat, indian government, iti, itis, karnataka, maharashtra, practical training, probst, skill training, swiss embassy, swiss model, theory classes, training institutes, vocational education and training, vocational skill, vocational training