Vietnam overtakes India as top investment destination: studyJune 3rd, 2008 - 1:45 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 2 (IANS) India has lost its top position as the most attractive emerging market destination for retail investment to Vietnam, according to a study by global management consulting firm A.T. Kearney. India was pushed to the second spot in the seventh annual Global Retail Development Index (GRDI), a study of retail investment attractiveness carried out among 30 emerging markets.
“The critical factors that have powered Vietnam to the top of the index this year are rapidly growing per capita income of the Vietnamese consumer and drastically opening up of regulations for new entry,” said Saurine M. Doshi, a partner of A.T. Kearney India.
“India’s inability in opening up the FDI (foreign direct investment) regulations for foreign retailers will start to hit the industry’s competitiveness more than ever before,” he added.
Vietnam was in fourth place in the 2007 GRDI.
Published since 2001, the GRDI assesses the retail expansion attractiveness of emerging countries based on a set of 25 variables including economic and political risk, retail market attractiveness and retail saturation levels.
Though India has slipped to number two this year, it continues to be a hot destination for global retailers, said Hemant Kalbag, principal of Consumer Industries & Retail Practice, A.T. Kearney India.
Russia, China, Egypt, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Brazil, Turkey, Mexico and Algeria are the other countries that found berth in the top-10 list.
- India third most attractive market for apparel retailers - Jun 02, 2008
- India top retail destination for investors: AT Kearney - Jun 15, 2009
- Fact sheet on India's retail trade industry - Nov 24, 2011
- Economic survey bats for FDI in multi-brand retail - Mar 15, 2012
- Indian luxury market to grow over 25 percent - Sep 30, 2010
- Geojit to lure Arab investors to Indian bourses - Jun 21, 2012
- 'Vietnam a huge business opportunity for India' - Oct 13, 2011
- Global firms vie to grab Bangalore biz whizkids - Mar 24, 2012
- ONGC Videsh inks deal with PetroVietnam - Oct 12, 2011
- India, China top choice of Canadian investors - Jul 13, 2011
- India allows 100 percent FDI in single brand retail (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2012
- India Inc welcomes 100 percent foreign equity in single-brand retail - Jan 10, 2012
- India allows 100 percent FDI in single brand retail - Jan 10, 2012
- BJP open to discussing FDI in multi-brand retail - Dec 21, 2011
- Can't let politics block valued foreign equity in retail: Pranab - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: competitiveness, critical factors, development index, emerging market, emerging markets, foreign direct investment, global management, global retailers, india india, investment attractiveness, investment destination, investment regulations, management consulting firm, market attractiveness, market destination, retail development, retail expansion, retail investment, retail market, saturation levels