Vidya Balan to promote sanitation campaignMay 3rd, 2012 - 11:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 3 (IANS) Bollywood actor Vidya Balan Thursday became the brand ambassador of the rural development ministry to spread awareness about sanitation and cleanliness in the country.
Balan said the sanitation campaign needs to become a national obsession.
According to a statement, she has agreed will campaign for two years and will be involved in the Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan –the restructured version of the Total Sanitation Campaign.
Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said Balan will appear in ad campaigns to propagate construction and use of toilets besides promoting habit of hand washing, personal hygiene and managing waste.
According to UNICEF-WHO Joint Monitoring Programme Report 2010, nearly 60 percent of India’s 1.1 billion people still practice open defecation and close to 58 percent of all open defecation in the world is in India.
- Budget could give more for sanitation: Ramesh - Mar 08, 2012
- Nirmal Gram: Bringing a cleanliness revolution to India's villages - Jun 06, 2011
- Open defecation will end in 10 years, says Ramesh - Jun 30, 2012
- Only 10 percent Indian villages fully sanitized: Jairam - Mar 19, 2012
- NGOs to help in evaluation of Nirmal Bharat Abhiyan: Ramesh - Sep 18, 2012
- Women can be prime movers of sanitation, says Patil - Mar 21, 2012
- India's youngest ministry tasked to end open defecation - Jul 20, 2011
- Unicef urges India to curb open defecation - Mar 27, 2012
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- 'Hera-pheri' in total sanitation programme: Jairam Ramesh - Aug 14, 2012
- Rural development ministry offers to fund bio-toilets for railway coaches - Jul 25, 2012
- Total sanitation campaign being seen as 'token', says Ramesh - Feb 17, 2012
- Women demanding mobile phones but not toilets, says Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Funds for building toilets to be hiked: Jairam - Apr 25, 2012
- Fund for construction of rural toilets doubled - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,