‘Viability test of compressed air engine completed’May 7th, 2012 - 10:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 7 (IANS) Automobile major Tata Motors Monday said that it has completed the viability test of its compressed air engine vehicle and will now focus on industrialising the product.
“The first phase of this programme - proof of the technical concept in Tata Motors vehicles - has now been successfully completed with the compressed air engine concept having been demonstrated in two Tata Motors vehicles,” the company said in a statement.
The development assumes significance as no working prototype of the compressed air engine has been developed so far. The compressed air engine uses the force of expanding compressed air to power the pistons inside an engine or is used in other non-conventional ways in hybrid and electric cars.
The company had partnered with Motor Development International of Luxembourg in January 2007 to produce and sell compressed air cars using MDI technology in India.
The agreement is to be completed in two phases encompassing technology transfer and proof of the technical concept in the first phase, and completing detailed development of the compressed air engine into specific vehicle and stationary applications in the second phase.
“In the second phase of the development, the two companies are working together to complete detailed development of the technology and required technical processes to industrialise a market ready product application over the coming years.”
- Tata Motors unveils Safari variant, concept cars - Jan 05, 2012
- Jaguar C-X16 concept car to debut at Frankfurt motor show - Aug 17, 2011
- Jaguar to launch limited edition supercar - May 06, 2011
- Haryana engineering students invent oxygen-run bike - Apr 15, 2011
- TATA buys rights to make air-powered cars for Indian market - Nov 05, 2008
- Air hybrid vehicles could halve fuel consumption in future - Feb 08, 2011
- Green signal for high-security number plates in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Tata Motors unveils assembly plant in South Africa - Jul 22, 2011
- A factsheet on the Tata Group - Nov 24, 2011
- Kinetic Engineering to launch two new gearboxes - Jan 17, 2012
- S&P; raises Tata Motors ratings - Jul 09, 2012
- Tata funds research project on water as auto fuel - Dec 31, 2010
- New prototype gasoline engine will improve car efficiency - Apr 08, 2011
- Ashok Leyland launches 'Jan Bus' - Jan 05, 2012
- Honda recalls 57,853 units of 'City' sedan - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: air cars, automobile, detailed development, electric cars, India, luxembourg, motors vehicles, pistons, product application, proof, prototype, second phase, stationary applications, tata motors, technical processes, technology transfer, viability test