Verdict on Janardhana Reddy’s bail plea Dec 28December 23rd, 2011 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Dec 23 (IANS) A special court posted to Dec 28 its orders on the bail petitions of former Karnataka minister G. Janardhana Reddy and his brother-in-law B.V. Srinivasa Reddy in an illegal mining case.
The special court dealing with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) cases heard the arguments of both sides on the bail petitions of the accused. This was the fourth time they applied for bail.
Judge Naga Murthy Sarma posted to Dec 28 the orders on the petitions.
The lawyers of the accused told the court that the CBI’s apprehension - that if released on bail they would tamper with the evidence - is baseless.
Accusing the CBI of making contradictory statements, they said the investigating agency is claiming before court that it is an over Rs.5,000 crore scam while in the charge sheet it put the figure at Rs.884 crore.
CBI counsel said the investigations were at a crucial stage and the bail to the accused could hamper the progress of the case.
The court has already rejected thrice the bail petitions of mining baron Janardhana Reddy and Obulapuram Mining Company (OMC) managing director Srinivasa Reddy.
The duo, arrested Sep 5, is lodged in Chanchalguda Central Jail here.
The special court also adjourned to Dec 28 the hearing on the CBI petition to cancel the bail given to another accused in the case, Y. Srilakshmi, an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer.
The judge asked Srilakshmi’s counsel to file the counter to the CBI petition by Dec 26.
Srilakhsmi, who had allegedly played a key role in granting iron ore mining leases to OMC in Anantapur district, was arrested by the CBI Nov 28. The court granted her bail on Dec 2. She is the fourth accused in the case.
The court Dec 15 had granted bail to V.D. Rajagopal, the third accused and former director of mines, but the same day on a CBI petition cancelled his bail.
- Andhra high court cancels ex-official's bail in mining case - Dec 26, 2011
- Andhra court cancels IAS officer's bail in mining case - Jan 02, 2012
- IAS officer Srilakshmi surrenders in court - Jan 06, 2012
- Andhra ex-official's bail stayed in mining case - Dec 16, 2011
- CBI nabs Andhra official in illegal mining case - Nov 28, 2011
- Woman IAS officer sent to jail in illegal mining case - Dec 01, 2011
- Janardhana Reddy's bail plea dismissed yet again - Jan 31, 2012
- Janardhan Reddy gets bail in mining case in Andhra (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Woman IAS officer gets bail in illegal mining case - Dec 02, 2011
- Court rejects Janardhana Reddy's interim bail plea - Dec 30, 2011
- Illegal mining: Court gives bail to ex-official, stays order - Dec 15, 2011
- CBI files additional chargesheet in Obulapuram case - Mar 30, 2012
- Woman IAS officer sent to judicial custody - Nov 29, 2011
- Judicial custody of illegal mining case accused extended - Jan 25, 2012
- Illegal mining: Andhra woman official moves Supreme Court - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: apprehension, bail plea, cbi, central bureau of investigation, central jail, contradictory statements, hyderabad, indian administrative service, investigating agency, investigations, iron ore mining, karnataka minister, key role, lawyers, managing director, mining company, petition, petitions, sarma, srinivasa