Venezuela to spend oil income on social programmes (Lead)April 23rd, 2011 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, April 23 (IANS) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has announced that extra income from the country’s oil exports will be used for social spending.
Venezuela, South America’s biggest oil producer, has been receiving sharply higher income from its oil exports in recent months. Global prices on Venezuelan oil averaged $107 per barrel last week, while the 2011 state budget was balanced with the $40 per barrel benchmark, RIA Novosti reported.
“I have signed a decree that authorises spending additional revenues from oil sales on the implementation of various social programmes for the country’s population,” Chavez, who will seek re-election next year, said on national television Friday.
The decree primarily hikes the so-called oil windfall tax, introduced by Chavez in 2008, from 60 percent to 95 percent on revenues from oil prices higher than $100 per barrel, giving Venezuela’s socialist leader enough room to conduct populist policies.
Chavez said the new law would allow the government to allocate additional $100 million on public housing projects and raise salaries nationwide.
He also predicted that war in Libya would drive oil prices up in the near future.
Venezuela produces about 3 million barrels of oil per day and sells almost half of it to the US.
- Chavez vows to spend extra income from oil on social programmes - Apr 23, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Chavez in 'good health' after treatment - Jun 10, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuelans protest against US sanctions - May 26, 2011
- Chavez to launch re-election bid - Jun 07, 2012
- Venezuela announces currency devaluation - Jan 10, 2010
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Venezuela freezes prices of 18 products - Nov 23, 2011
- China gives $20 bn to Venezuela in exchange for fuel - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: extra income, global prices, housing projects, hugo chavez, national television, oil exports, oil income, oil prices, oil producer, oil sales, oil windfall tax, president hugo chavez, public housing, ria novosti, social programmes, socialist leader, state budget, venezuelan oil, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez