Venezuela to invest $45 bn to build, maintain refineriesOctober 1st, 2011 - 12:58 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Oct 1 (IANS/EFE) State-owned Petroleos de Venezuela SA said it plans to invest $45 billion this decade to maintain its domestic refinery network in the country and build other crude-processing facilities.
The director of the company’s Paraguana complex, Jesus Luongo, made the announcement Friday, saying the plan will also require the construction of adjacent “social infrastructure” to avoid creating “areas of poverty surrounding the oil installations”.
In planning projects of this magnitude, “thought is given not only to oil infrastructure but also to the most important thing: people”.
“That’s why we talk about building schools, hospitals, houses, roads, bridges and trains,” Luongo said.
The firm “applies a policy that requires that the materials and human talent to be used in building new projects be Venezuelan, with a view to creating jobs and wealth inside the country.”
Venezuela owns a dozen refineries in several countries, including the US.
For his part, the president of the company’s industrial subsidiary, Ower Manrique, said that until President Hugo Chavez’s administration took full control of the oil giant in 2003 “they brought everything from abroad and never created an industrial base that could grow in tandem with the domestic oil sector”.
- Seven die in Venezuelan refinery blast - Aug 25, 2012
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Venezuela refinery blast: Toll rises to 26 - Aug 26, 2012
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- Venezuela, Argentina sign 25 accords - Apr 21, 2010
- Production at Venezuela gas field to start in 15 months - Sep 07, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Belarus to help build space facility in Venezuela - Jul 05, 2012
- Venezuelan lawmakers honour Olympic fencing champ - Aug 15, 2012
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Venezuela pays Exxon $250 mn for nationalized assets - Feb 17, 2012
- Replica of Bolivar's sword presented to fencing champ - Aug 09, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela to export oil to Belarus - Mar 17, 2010
- Russian firm to operate two oil fields in Venezuela - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: bn, country venezuela, domestic oil, hugo chavez, luongo, manrique, new projects, oil giant, oil infrastructure, oil installations, oil sector, ower, paraguana, petroleos de venezuela, petroleos de venezuela sa, president hugo chavez, refineries, refinery, s industrial, social infrastructure