Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with ChinaJuly 11th, 2011 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, July 11 (IANS) President Hugo Chavez has signed a $2 billion contribution from Venezuela to a binational fund with China.
The approval of “this new tranche” of funding is “another success for our foreign policy … completely independent of multilateral credit entities”, Chavez said regarding the finance programme agreed to between Caracas and Beijing to undertake Venezuelan projects, reported EFE.
Venezuela will pay China for those resources with petroleum shipments, Chavez said.
“It’s not true that we’re giving it, we’re selling it and at the market price,” the president said.
Venezuela currently exports about 400,000 barrels per day (bpd) of petroleum to China, with the goal being to up the flow of crude to 1 million bpd in three years.
Chavez appeared once again on television showing evidence that he has gained weight after the two operations he underwent June 10 and June 20 in Cuba, the latter to remove a cancerous tumor.
The president returned to the country last Monday after spending a month abroad, most of it in Cuba, where he underwent surgery and received treatment for cancer.
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez back in Cuba for cancer treatment - Mar 26, 2012
- Chavez says chemotherapy will make him bald like Yul Brynner - Jul 29, 2011
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- Hugo Chavez to start chemotherapy treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela aims to boost oil output - Dec 21, 2011
- China gives $20 bn to Venezuela in exchange for fuel - Apr 19, 2010
- Chavez says he's free of cancer - Oct 21, 2011
- Hugo Chavez calls doctor 'a liar' after saying he has 2 years left to live - Oct 28, 2011
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Venezuela's Chavez back in the public eye - May 24, 2012
Tags: 1 million, beijing, bn, bpd, cancer, cancerous tumor, caracas, china, cuba, efe, entities, finance, foreign policy, hugo chavez, last monday, petroleum, president hugo chavez, television, tranche, venezuela