Venezuela nationalises steelmakerNovember 2nd, 2010 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Caracas, Nov 2 (IANS/EFE) Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has announced the nationalisation of steelmaker Sidetur and of several real estate developers that failed to complete housing projects.
Chavez broke the news Sunday during a six-hour edition of his weekly television programme, a week after announcing in the same venue that his government was nationalising the Venezuelan division of US-owned Owens-Illinois Inc., the world leader in the manufacture of glass containers.
Sidetur, an affiliate of Venezuela’s biggest private steelmaker, Sivensa, processes scrap and manufactures rebar - 40 percent of the national production of that material - along with wire rod or construction cable, as well as cross sections for metal carpentry.
The firm has six plants in Caracas, Guarenas, Valencia, Barquisimeto and Puerto Ordaz.
The leftist president also announced Sunday the expropriation of six real estate projects, most of them located in Greater Caracas.
Chavez said that the measures were being carried out to benefit the middle class since many of the affected dwellings were paid for but had not been completed because work had become paralysed there.
Chavez began his plan to nationalise “strategic sectors” of the economy in January 2007, and since then dozens of firms - mainly in the energy, telecommunications, steel, banking and food sectors - have been expropriated and put under state control.
- Venezuela's Chavez threatens to seize bank - Jan 27, 2011
- Cancer once made Chavez consider leaving politics - Sep 05, 2012
- Chavez returns to Cuba for treatment - Jul 18, 2011
- Venezuela to pull gold reserves out of US, Europe - Aug 19, 2011
- Homeless Venezuelans to get homes from government - Oct 11, 2010
- Venezuela nationalises retail chain - Jan 19, 2010
- Venezuela president goes for last chemotherapy session - Sep 18, 2011
- Chavez takes to Twitter after surgery - Mar 02, 2012
- Chavez to return to Venezuela this week - Apr 24, 2012
- Chavez touts tourism venture with Cuba - Aug 11, 2012
- Chavez in good physical condition after operation: Venezuela - Feb 29, 2012
- Chavez heads back to Venezuela - Mar 17, 2012
- Chavez to travel to Cuba for surgery - Feb 24, 2012
- Chavez says his progress is favourable - Mar 13, 2012
- Venezuela to invest $45 bn to build, maintain refineries - Oct 01, 2011
Tags: cross sections, estate projects, expropriation, food sectors, glass containers, guarenas, housing projects, hugo chavez, nationalisation, owens illinois, owens illinois inc, president hugo chavez, puerto ordaz, real estate developers, sectors of the economy, sidetur, steelmaker, television programme, venezuelan president hugo, venezuelan president hugo chavez