Venezuela aims to boost oil outputDecember 21st, 2011 - 11:16 am ICT by IANS
Caracas, Dec 21 (IANS/EFE) Oil-rich Venezuela will boost its production of crude to 3.5 million barrels per day in 2012, President Hugo Chavez said.
“We are at 3 million, fluctuating there - a little more,a little less - there we are at 3 million. Now, in 2012, as a result of all the efforts we have made, we should make a leap to 3.5 million,” he said during a cabinet meeting broadcast on state television.
Venezuela’s oil output will reach 4 million bpd in 2014, the socialist head of state predicted, adding that no more than five countries in the world have “the capacity to increase production at a pace like this”.
Chavez went on to note that Russia currently produces around 10 million bpd, while Saudi Arabian output is slightly lower and Iran pumps 3.5 million bpd.
The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, of which Venezuela is a charter member, decided earlier this month to set a production ceiling of 30 million bpd, the first increase since the 2008 financial crisis.
Venezuela, the world’s No. 5 oil exporter, sells around 1.5 million bpd to the US and another 500,000 to China.
The Andean nation possesses the largest certified oil reserves on the planet, with roughly 297 billion barrels. But most of Venezuela’s petroleum is in the form of heavy and extra-heavy crude that is more costly to refine.
- Venezuela will become world's top oil exporter: Chavez - Dec 29, 2011
- Venezuela boosts oil sales to China - Aug 14, 2012
- Italian oil giant to invest $7 bn in Venezuela - Jul 16, 2011
- Venezuela, China announce joint oil venture - Apr 20, 2010
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
- Colombia has record oil output in February - Mar 10, 2011
- Venezuela surpasses Saudi Arabia in oil reserves - Jul 20, 2011
- Ecuador wants to hike oil output - Jul 08, 2011
- Venezuela provides $2 bn for fund with China - Jul 11, 2011
- Ecuador signs deals to boost oil output - Feb 02, 2012
- Venezuela, China sign oil, mining agreements - Dec 24, 2009
- Over 50 percent of Ecuador's oil exports went to China - Oct 21, 2011
- Venezuelan economy shrank 3.3 percent in 2009 - Mar 03, 2010
- Colombian firm makes new oil find - Apr 26, 2012
- Ecuador expects China to fully finance refinery - Apr 23, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,