Vedanta refinery cuts output on bauxite shortageAugust 25th, 2012 - 1:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 25 (IANS) Vedanta Aluminium Limited (VAL) has cut down production by about 50 percent at its refinery in Odisha due to scarcity of bauxite, a top official said Saturday.
The one-million-tonne per annum alumina refinery at Lanjigarh in Kalahandi district, about 600 km from here, has been operating at about 40-50 percent capacity for the past few days, VAL president Mukesh Kumar told IANS.
“We have sent teams to various places to see if some where it (bauxite) can be located. However, right now, we are not seeing any hope,” he said.
VAL, an associate company of Vedanta Resources Plc, was getting about 50 percent of the required bauxite from its mines in Chhattisgarh, and was buying the remaining from the miners in other states.
The Mainpat mine in Chhattisgarh has shut operation due to want of environmental clearance.
“It was supplying about 30 percent of our requirements,” Kumar said.
The supply it was getting from miners in other states has also been hit as most of them shut operation due to the new rule on mining lease renewal, he said.
Set up with an investment of $800 million, VAL requires three lakh tonnes of bauxite per month to run the refinery at full capacity.
However, due to bauxite shortage, the company has been running the refinery at reduced capacity since it was commissioned in August 2007.
Vedanta wants to mine bauxite from Niyamgiri Hills located near its refinery but its clearances are mired in litigations and protests.
It has also applied for several other bauxite reserves in the state, but none of them have materialised so far.
Bauxite is the main raw material used to produce alumina.
- Villagers stage demonstration seeking bauxite for Vedanta plant - Sep 11, 2012
- Villagers seek allocation of bauxite for Vedanta plant - Aug 29, 2012
- Vedanta plans to shut down Odisha refinery from December - Sep 06, 2012
- Activist demands shutdown of Vedanta refinery in Odisha - Sep 18, 2012
- Vedanta against bauxite export - Sep 03, 2012
- Vedanta taps Gujarat for bauxite for Orissa refinery - Sep 02, 2010
- Orissa seeking legal opinion on Vedanta project - Oct 28, 2010
- Green group seeks cancellation of clearance to Vedanta refinery - Feb 19, 2010
- Vedanta Aluminium to raise capacity to 2.5 million tonnes - Dec 06, 2011
- Vedanta's Orissa alumina refinery facing bauxite shortage - Dec 18, 2009
- Hundreds protest Vedanta refinery in Orissa - Oct 30, 2010
- Vedanta hopes to get bauxite for Orissa plant soon - Jan 22, 2010
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Strike hits mining in Chhattisgarh - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: aluminium, associate company, chhattisgarh, environmental clearance, few days, lakh tonnes, lease renewal, litigations, miners, mukesh kumar, one million, protests, raw material, refinery, scarcity, vedanta resources plc