Vedanta plans to acquire entire shares of Madras AluminiumJanuary 20th, 2009 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 20 (IANS) Contrary to its earlier restructuring plans for Madras Aluminium Co (Malco), the Vedanta group has decided to acquire the entire shareholding of the Salem-based firm and perhaps delist the scrip. In a regulatory statement to the National Stock Exchange Tuesday, Malco said its holding company, Vedanta subsidiary Twinstar Holdings with a controlling 80 percent stake, has proposed to acquire the remaining 20 percent as per the market regulator’s guidelines on delisting of securities.
The latest decision to buy out the minority shareholders is in variance with the restructuring proposals announced last September.
At that time, the Vedanta group had planned to house all its aluminium business under Malco and demerge its investments in group companies like Sterlite Industries.
Under the earlier proposal, the holding of Vedanta group was to go down to 60.92 percent with the balance being held by the shareholders of Malco and Sterlite.
Meanwhile, Malco has declared a net loss of Rs.71.3 million for the third quarter ended Dec 31, as against a profit of Rs.147.2 million for the corresponding period the previous year.
Interestingly, the company’s net revenue for the third quarter stood at Rs.1.17 billion, up from Rs.1.10 billion earned during the corresponding period the previous year.
After suspending 60 percent of its production last November, Malco stopped its smelter operations entirely last month, citing the low prices for aluminium in the London Metals Exchange (LME) as the reason.
The company is also facing some court case in operating its bauxite mines in Tamil Nadu.
Malco owns bauxite mines with 1.7-million tonne reserves in Salem and Namakkal districts in Tamil Nadu.
The company also owns a 120,000-tonne per annum aluminium refinery, a 40,000-tonne smelter and a 75-MW captive power plant at Mettur in the state.
Malco officials were not available for comments.
- Vedanta Aluminium to raise capacity to 2.5 million tonnes - Dec 06, 2011
- Vedanta to consolidate subsidiaries into single entity - Feb 25, 2012
- Vedanta merges units to create India's largest resources firm (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Vedanta sells 3,000 tonnes aluminium at premium - Jun 20, 2012
- Nalco puts Indonesia smelter project on hold - Aug 15, 2012
- NALCO's Q3 net profit down 80 percent - Feb 07, 2012
- Madras Aluminium Co. cuts production by 60 percent - Nov 20, 2008
- Vedanta companies tumble at bourses after mining ban - Aug 24, 2010
- Vedanta refinery cuts output on bauxite shortage - Aug 25, 2012
- Anil Agarwal's 'vedanta' and his $7.9 bn Sterlite group - Aug 24, 2010
- NALCO to expand capacity at Orissa unit - Apr 25, 2011
- NALCO gears up for expansion,to enter metal and power sectors - Oct 01, 2010
- Vedanta hopes to get bauxite for Orissa plant soon - Jan 22, 2010
- iGate proposes to de-list Patni Computer Systems - Nov 16, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: captive power plant, court case, delisting, group companies, holding company, last november, last september, lme, london metals exchange, market regulator, mettur, minority shareholders, national stock exchange, refinery, rs 1, scrip, shareholding, smelter, sterlite industries, vedanta group