Vedanta hopes to get bauxite for Orissa plant soonJanuary 22nd, 2010 - 12:45 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 21 (IANS) British mining company Vedanta Resources is hopeful of getting bauxite for its alumina refinery in Orissa soon, the company’s chairman Anil Agarwal said Thursday.
The London-headquartered metals and mining company has built a one million tonne per annum capacity alumina refinery at Lanjigarh in the state’s Kalahandi district, some 600 km from here.
The company is waiting to mine bauxite from the nearby Niyamgiri hills but is yet to get the final nod from the central government.
“We are getting bauxite from other states,” Agarwal said after talks with Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik and senior government officials.
“He (Patnaik) has promised us and said that they were sitting on the fourth largest reserve of bauxite. Bauxite should not be a problem. All the bauxite required for the refinery will be provided and the process is on,” he told reporters, citing the chief minister.
Vedanta is also setting up a 0.5 million tonne per annum aluminium smelter and 1,215 MW captive power plant in the state. Group company, Sterlite Energy Limited, is also setting up a 2,400 MW independent power plant at Jharsuguda.
Agarwal said the first unit of the power plant will be commissioned by summer this year.
Asked about the status of the steel plant Vedanta has planned in the state, Agarwal said the plant will be built in joint venture and negotiations are in an advanced stage.
- Villagers seek allocation of bauxite for Vedanta plant - Aug 29, 2012
- Vedanta Aluminium to raise capacity to 2.5 million tonnes - Dec 06, 2011
- Vedanta plans to shut down Odisha refinery from December - Sep 06, 2012
- Activist demands shutdown of Vedanta refinery in Odisha - Sep 18, 2012
- Vedanta refinery cuts output on bauxite shortage - Aug 25, 2012
- Villagers stage demonstration seeking bauxite for Vedanta plant - Sep 11, 2012
- Vedanta against bauxite export - Sep 03, 2012
- Orissa seeking legal opinion on Vedanta project - Oct 28, 2010
- Vedanta taps Gujarat for bauxite for Orissa refinery - Sep 02, 2010
- Vedanta's Orissa alumina refinery facing bauxite shortage - Dec 18, 2009
- Green group seeks cancellation of clearance to Vedanta refinery - Feb 19, 2010
- Hundreds protest Vedanta refinery in Orissa - Oct 30, 2010
- Church of England's Vedanta shares sale welcomed - Feb 07, 2010
- Court rejects Vedanta plea for alumina refinery expansion - Jul 19, 2011
- Environment ministry stops Vedanta's refinery expansion in Orissa - Oct 22, 2010
Tags: 5 million, alumina refinery, aluminium smelter, anil agarwal, bauxite, captive power plant, central government, chief minister, government officials, group company, independent power, jan 21, joint venture, metals, mining company, nod, one million, orissa, state group, steel plant