Uttar Pradesh to add 500 MW of power by JuneMay 17th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, May 17 (IANS) Faced with a scorching summer and a looming power crisis, the Uttar Pradesh government Thursday announced that two new thermal power units - unit 9 of 250 MW Harduaganj power station and unit 5 of the 250 MW Parichha project - would be made operational next month.
The two units will add 500 MW to the total generation capacity of the state’s thermal power stations, taking it to a total of 4,777 MW, a power official told IANS.
The announcement was made Wednesday after a meeting attended by industrial development commissioner and principal secretary-energy Anil Kumar Gupta and board of directors of Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd. and Uttar Pradesh Jal Vidyut Nigam Ltd. (JVN).
With the two units operational by June, the rising power demand in the state would be met to some extent, Gupta hoped.
Net power generation by state power stations in Uttar Pradesh is around 18,537.94 million units (MU), against which Rs.5,112.47 crore of revenue was realised during 2011-12.
In another review meeting between Gupta and board of directors of JVN Wednesday, a proposal for preparation of bid document by Alternate Hydro Energy Centre (AHEC), IIT - Roorkee, for the 1,500-KW Khara small hydro power project in Saharanpur district was approved.
The project execution will be on a turn-key basis through EPC (engineering, procurement and construction) contract.
During the meeting, Gupta was informed that during 2011-12, against the target of 924 MU, 1,431.51 MU of hydro power was generated in the state. The hydro power generation capacity of JVN is 526.7 MW at present.
- New thermal station in UP starts generation - Jul 07, 2012
- Akhilesh writes to PM on power project delays - Aug 31, 2012
- Record power generation by Himachal plant - Apr 01, 2012
- Akhilesh lays foundation of 1,980 MW power plant - Jun 12, 2012
- Himachal hydropower plants remain shut for third day - Aug 22, 2012
- Neyveli Lignite Corp to add 1,000 MW this fiscal - May 28, 2012
- Himachal hydro projects resume power generation - Aug 03, 2012
- UP aims 3300 MW power generation hike in 2011 - Dec 29, 2010
- Himachal hydropower projects shut, north India hit - Aug 02, 2012
- SJVNL's second plant to start power generation in December - Jul 25, 2012
- Hydropower generation resumes in Himachal - Jul 30, 2012
- Himachal's hydropower plants shut, power shortage in north (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- IVRCL Group bags orders worth Rs.4,081 crore - Apr 02, 2012
- Power supply restored in Himachal - Jul 31, 2012
- Hydropower projects remain shut, north India hit - Jul 26, 2011
Tags: anil kumar, construction contract, crore, development commissioner, energy centre, gupta, hydro energy, hydro power generation, jal, jvn, lucknow, mw, power crisis, power generation capacity, principal secretary, project execution, roorkee, small hydro power, target, uttar pradesh government