Uttar Pradesh raises sugarcane price by Rs.25 a quintalOctober 24th, 2009 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Oct 23 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government Friday hiked by Rs.25 a quintal the state advised price (SAP) of sugarcane in the state for the forthcoming crushing season, commencing early November.
According to a decision taken by the Mayawati-led state cabinet, the prevailing per quintal SAP of Rs.140 has been raised to Rs.165 for the general variety of sugarcane which forms about 80 percent of the state’s produce.
For the “early” yielding variety that forms about 20 percent of the produce, the price goes up from the existing Rs.145 to Rs.170 per quintal.
Even for the “currently rejected” variety which was barely 5 percent of the overall sugarcane grown in the state, the price was raised from Rs. 137.50 to Rs.162.50 per quintal.
“This has been done in the larger interest of farmers who failed to discontinue growing certain varieties that were removed from the list of varieties approved by the state,” a senior government spokesman told reporters here Friday evening.
He added: “The flat hike of Rs.25 per quintal was not only unprecedented in the history of the state, but was also far ahead of what agriculturally rich states like Haryana and Punjab had announced.”
While Haryana declared a hike of Rs.10 per quintal, the increase in Punjab was of the order of Rs.20 per quintal, he said.
The decision follows a detailed study by a high level committee constituted by Chief Minister Mayawati under the chairmanship of Chief Secretary Atul Kumar Gupta, who submitted his report after hearing out representatives of sugarcane growers as well as sugar mill owners.
- Mayawati announces steep hike in sugarcane price - Nov 08, 2011
- UP hikes sugarcane support price by Rs.40 a quintal - Nov 02, 2010
- Now, Congress demands higher sugarcane price - Dec 12, 2009
- 'Low cane output won't affect sugar production in Uttar Pradesh' - Oct 24, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh to continue ban on import of raw sugar - Nov 22, 2009
- Uttar Pradesh bans import of raw sugar - Nov 04, 2009
- Hooda seeks Rs.200 bonus on paddy - Oct 06, 2011
- Haryana seeks Rs.1,800 MSP for paddy - Feb 17, 2012
- Cabinet hikes rice purchase price to Rs.1,280 per quintal - Jun 14, 2012
- Centre's bonus on wheat unjustified: Badal - Apr 16, 2011
- Sugarcane farmers up in arms against price policy - Nov 03, 2009
- Samajwadi Party demands higher price for sugarcane farmers - Nov 09, 2009
- Government playing sugarcane politics: Mayawati - Nov 21, 2009
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh farmers call off stir for higher sugarcane price - Dec 18, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,