Uttar Pradesh highways to be maintained by private operatorsMarch 28th, 2011 - 10:15 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, March 28 (IANS) Maintenance and upgradation of highways in Uttar Pradesh will now be given to private companies, the state government announced Monday.
“Proper upkeep and upgradation of state highways could not be ensured for a variety of reasons. The state cabinet has therefore resolved to entrust this task to the private sector with effect from the coming financial year starting April 1,” Cabinet Secretary Shashank Shekhar Singh told reporters here.
“The cost of maintaining and upgrading the state’s 21 highways (running into 2,314 km) was estimated at about Rs.12,600 crore, which would be realized by the concerned organization through a special toll at each of the highways,” he said.
Among the highways to be taken up under the new scheme ware Delhi-Saharanpur-Yamunoutri route, Varanasi-Shaktinagar, Bariellly-Almora-Bageshwar,Akbarpur-Jaunpur-Mirzapur, Pallia-Shahjahanpur-Hardoi-Lucknow, Meerut-Karnal and others.
“The upgradation and maintenance would not be limited to simple widening or repairs, but would also include construction of fly-overs and rail-overhead bridges, besides development of service lanes, public toilets as well as drainage and other necessary services,” the cabinet secretary pointed out.
- Uttar Pradesh to get highway network soon - Jul 09, 2012
- Elephant hit by truck, killed - Dec 01, 2010
- Six wagons of coal-laden goods train derail in UP - Jun 20, 2012
- West Bengal to start golden highway project - Feb 03, 2012
- Four new hydropower projects for Uttar Pradesh - Aug 23, 2012
- Delhi-Agra run cut by half as Yamuna Expressway opens (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Gangster gunned down in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 22, 2010
- Liberal distribution of firearms licences in Uttar Pradesh a concern: CEC - Nov 28, 2011
- Six more killed in cracker shop blast in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 24, 2012
- Woman, three kids drowned - Sep 12, 2010
- Mayawati regime not helping in new units: Steel minister - Sep 19, 2011
- Eight dead as vehicle slams into bus in UP - Apr 21, 2012
- Five die in Uttar Pradesh accident - May 30, 2011
- Official's car runs over three people - Nov 21, 2011
- Jaypee's expressway to Taj cuts run from Delhi to 150 minutes (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: april 1, bridges, cabinet secretary, crore, drainage, karnal, necessary services, pallia, private companies, private operators, private sector, proper upkeep, public toilets, saharanpur, shashank, shekhar, state cabinet, state government, state highways, upgradation