USAID, FICCI ink deal to support innovationDecember 20th, 2011 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 20 (IANS) The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Tuesday signed an agreement to set up an institution that would support innovation in India and elsewhere in the world.
The two organisations have pledged $7.5 million each for setting up the “Millennium Alliance: an India-US Innovation Partnership for Global Development”, which will promote innovation in sectors such as health, food security, climate change, energy and education.
“USAID and FICCI both will contribute $7.5 million each to the platform and work to raise up to $50 million within the next 12 months,” Rajiv Shah, administrator, USAID, said after signing of the agreement here.
Shah said the new alliance would welcome “academics, entrepreneurs, non-government organisations and private sector players to discover scalable answers to some of the subcontinent’s greatest challenges”.
FICCI Secretary General Rajiv Kumar said the alliance would raise money through donations and contributions from corporations, foundations and other governments.
“This is a path breaking approach to fostering a new paradigm of partnership between US and India that promotes innovations for the benefit of the people in both India and other developing economies,” said Kumar.
- US, India join hands to promote innovation - Jul 10, 2012
- USAID chief Rajiv Shah to visit India - Dec 19, 2011
- India, Japan implement economic pact; aim to double trade (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- US gives $40 mn for Bangladesh health sector - Apr 09, 2012
- Initiative to strengthen investment between India, Britain - Apr 02, 2012
- Technology firms awarded for innovation - Mar 29, 2012
- FICCI signs two accords with China Chamber of Commerce - Dec 15, 2010
- FICCI to open office in Nepal - Dec 04, 2011
- India invited to make huge investments in Africa: Mozambique - Mar 28, 2011
- US to help set up 30 business hubs in eastern India - Dec 20, 2011
- HCL Technologies, New Zealand's Finzsoft tie up - Jun 27, 2011
- India-Sri Lanka CEOs Forum to hold first meet Saturday - Aug 03, 2012
- Indian firm recognized at world business development awards - Sep 24, 2010
- India, Singapore business chambers to boost trade - Jul 11, 2012
- Finland owes innovative bent to research spending - Oct 02, 2011
Tags: 50 million, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, climate change energy, developing economies, ficci, food security, global development, health food, indian chambers of commerce, ink deal, innovation partnership, new alliance, New Delhi, new paradigm, non government organisations, rajiv kumar, secretary general, subcontinent, united states agency