US stocks trim losses amid Spain concernMarch 30th, 2012 - 4:06 am ICT by IANS
New York, March 30 (IANS) US stocks trimmed early losses and ended the session mixed Thursday as investors weighed debt problems in Spain against positive domestic economic data.
The Dow Jones industrial average added 19.61 points, or 0.15 percent, at 13,145.82. The Standard & Poor’s 500 dipped 2.26 points, or 0.16 percent, to 1,403.28. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 9.60 points, or 0.31 percent, to 3,095.36, Xinhua reported.
Major indexes were mired in the red for most time during the session as the situation in Spain reminded investors the crisis in Europe was far from over.
In Madrid, people took to street to protest against the government’s austerity plan and clashed with police, spurring fresh concerns about the nation’s debt outlook.
Thursday’s domestic economic data came in a little bit better than expected, but failed to boost the market.
The Commerce Department said the US economy expanded at a 3-percent annual rate, the fastest pace since mid-2010.
Meanwhile, the Labor Department reported jobless claims last week dropped 5,000 to a seasonally adjusted 359,000, hitting another four-year low.
- US stocks mixed amid Greek debt talks (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Sensex extends rally to five days (Roundup) - Jun 30, 2011
- Sensex pares losses, closes 34 points up (Roundup) - Jan 16, 2012
- US stocks edge higher amid Greek hope (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Sensex closes lower for fifth straight day - Nov 16, 2011
- US stocks jump on encouraging jobs data (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- US stocks higher on positive jobs data - Feb 24, 2012
- US stocks continue downward trend - Apr 11, 2012
- US stocks mixed on Greece plan, jobs data - Jun 03, 2011
- US stocks little changed after Greece deal - Feb 10, 2012
- US stocks pause in absence of big data - Mar 13, 2012
- US stocks retreat after short relief rally - Jun 12, 2012
- US stocks open lower - Apr 30, 2012
- IT stocks drag Sensex 138 points lower (Roundup) - Jan 12, 2012
- Day after rally, Sensex takes a breather - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,