US stocks slide on European concernsApril 24th, 2012 - 3:32 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 24 (IANS) US stocks slid Monday as concerns over European situations once again plagued the market.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 102.09 points, or 0.78 percent, to 12,927.17. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was down 11.59 points, or 0.84 percent, to 1,366.94. The Nasdaq Composite Index declined 30.00 points, or 1.00 percent, to 2,970.45, Xinhua reported.
The latest political development in Europe was the main reason for the sell-off in the market in the absence of key economic data.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte resigned Monday in a crisis over budget cuts, creating a political vacuum in a country which strongly backed an EU fiscal treaty.
In France, a Socialist candidate who was against the austerity plan came out on top in the first round of the country’s presidential election, underlying the political pressure in European countries on the debt issues.
Adding to the pressure, a report from China showed that the country’s manufacturing sector was contracting for the second straight month, also raising concerns about an economic slowdown.
- Wall Street fall on European concerns (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- US stocks edge higher amid Greek hope (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Sensex slides 320 points to close below 17,000 (Roundup) - May 04, 2012
- Sensex rises 102.09 points, banking, realty stocks rally (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Sensex sheds nearly 4 percent on weak domestic, global cues (Weekly market review) - Dec 10, 2011
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Wall Street tumbles on European concerns - Sep 29, 2011
- US stocks slide on Europe concerns (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- US stocks open mixed amid high oil prices - Mar 03, 2012
- Sensex hits six-week low on European debt woes - Nov 17, 2011
- Late sell-off pulls down Sensex - Aug 24, 2011
- Sensex closes 176 points higher despite dull global cues (Roundup) - Jun 23, 2011
- Indian equities end in positive amid volatile trading (Weekly market review) - Sep 17, 2011
- Choppy trading at Indian equities after outlook downgrade - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: amp, april 24, austerity, budget cuts, debt issues, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, dutch prime minister, economic data, economic slowdown, european concerns, european countries, manufacturing sector, nasdaq composite index, political vacuum, presidential election, s 500, socialist candidate, xinhua