US stocks rise on oil-price fallMay 28th, 2008 - 5:33 am ICT by admin
New York, May 28 (DPA) A drop in oil prices and a tech share rally lifted US stocks across the board Tuesday, after last week’s worst performance since February. The 2.5-percent drop in oil prices was the steepest decrease this month, and gave counterbalance to a huge drop in US consumer confidence reported Tuesday.
The consumer index maintained by the New York-based Conference Board dropped to its lowest level since 1992 in April, increasing the likelihood of a further slowdown in the world’s largest economy.
Crude oil for July delivery fell $3.34 dollars to $128.85 a barrel on signs that US fuel consumption is dropping because of a slowing economy and record energy prices, Bloomberg financial news service reported.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 68.72 points, or 0.55 percent, to 12,548.35. The broader Standard & Poor’s 500 Index rose 9.42 points, or 0.68 percent, to 1,385.35. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index increased 36.57 points, or 1.50 percent, to 2,481.24.
The dollar rose to 63.75 euro cents from 63.44 euro cents on Friday, and climbed against the Japanese currency to 104.27 yen from 103.39 yen.
- US stocks up slightly on commodity gains - Jan 07, 2010
- US stocks gain on GDP report, oil rise - Aug 28, 2009
- Housing, finance lead US stocks lower - Oct 27, 2009
- US stocks decline as Gulf oil spill continues - Jun 02, 2010
- Wall Street stocks gain on optimism for US economy - Nov 26, 2009
- Oil inches up on positive data - Mar 31, 2012
- US stocks lower on commodities, ignore Fed's upbeat assessment - Jul 30, 2009
- US stocks improve for fifth straight day - Sep 11, 2009
- US stocks surge on first trading day of 2010 - Jan 05, 2010
- US stocks climb on oil, gold hikes - Sep 09, 2009
- US stocks rise on improved consumer confidence - Mar 31, 2010
- US stocks edge mixed (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- US stocks turn into positive territory - Nov 12, 2011
- US stocks rise on retail, oil and interest rates - Jun 12, 2009
- Sensex climbs 152 points on firm global cues (Roundup) - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: blue chip, consumer confidence, consumer index, crude oil, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economy, energy prices, financial news, fuel consumption, likelihood, news service, oil price fall, oil prices, rally, signs, slowdown, stocks