US stocks rise on housing optimismJune 3rd, 2009 - 5:51 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 3 (DPA) Major US stock indices posted gains Tuesday amid improving housing figures, but financial stocks fell amid some new share offerings by top Wall Street firms.
Sales of existing homes jumped 6.7 percent in April from the month before, according to the National Association of Realtors, as record low mortgage rates and home prices are slowly driving buyers back into the market.
But financial shares fell as JP Morgan Chase, Morgan Stanley and American Express all raised capital by selling common stock in a bid to repay emergency loans from the US government. The offering diluted the share price of all three firms.
The health industry made gains as President Barack Obama met with members of Congress and urged them to quickly pass a comprehensive health care reform legislation.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 19.43 points, or 0.22 percent, to 8,740.87. The broader Standard & Poor’s 500 Index edged up 1.87 points, or 0.2 percent, to 944.74. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index rose 8.12 points, or 0.44 percent, to 1,836.80.
The US currency dropped against the euro to 69.87 euro cents from 70.59 euro cents on Monday. The dollar fell against the Japanese currency to 95.70 yen from 96.43 yen.
- Sensex breaches 15,000-mark (Lead) - Jun 03, 2009
- US stocks rally despite General Motors bankruptcy filing - Jun 02, 2009
- Wall Street up on European hopes, bank rally - Oct 19, 2011
- US stocks slide on jobless forecast and energy earnings - Jun 04, 2009
- US stocks fall on stalled European economy - Feb 13, 2010
- US stocks gain on financial firms - Mar 11, 2010
- US stocks drop on disappointing earnings - Feb 04, 2010
- US stocks posts biggest one-day loss of 2010 - Jan 16, 2010
- Wall Street rises despite Euro zone concerns - Sep 14, 2011
- US stocks climb on home sales, commodities - Feb 03, 2010
- US stocks drop amid mixed earnings - Oct 21, 2009
- Most US stocks fall on low consumer confidence - Jul 29, 2009
- US stocks end strong week on a high note - Nov 14, 2009
- US stocks fall on fresh jobs fears - Apr 01, 2010
- US stocks decline as tech sector overshadows positive GDP report - Jan 30, 2010
Tags: association of realtors, care reform legislation, comprehensive health care, comprehensive health care reform, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, emergency loans, financial shares, financial stocks, health care reform, health industry, japanese currency, jp morgan, jp morgan chase, morgan stanley, nasdaq composite index, national association of realtors, share offerings, stock indices