US stocks rally on housing dataApril 27th, 2012 - 6:34 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 27 (IANS) US stocks extended rally Thursday as the housing data came in better than expected, offsetting a weak jobs report and some disappointing earnings.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 113.90 points, or 0.87 percent, to 13,204.62. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was up 9.29 points, or 0.67 percent, to 1,399.98. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose 20.98 points, or 0.69 percent, to 3,050.61, Xinhua reported.
Thursday’s rally came after the National Association of Realtors said its Pending Home Sales Index rose 4.1 percent to 101.4, the highest level since April 2010, after a 0.4 percent gain in February that was revised from a previously estimated 0.5 percent drop.
Major indexes were pressured in early session after the Labor Department said the number of people applying for jobless benefits decreased mere 1,000 to a seasonally adjusted 388,000 last week, spurring concerns that hiring was slowing down.
Meanwhile, Energy giant Exxon reported its earnings dropped 11 percent from a year ago, as its biggest first-quarter production decline since 2008 wiped out most of the benefit of record oil prices.
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Exxon Mobil's earnings fall - Apr 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 128 points on positive European cues - Dec 22, 2011
- Wall Street gains on Apple, Fed's economic outlook - Apr 26, 2012
- Sensex builds on early gains - Jan 24, 2011
- Sensex closes 370 points lower, capital goods lose (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- US stocks end higher - Jan 26, 2012
- Sensex dips 204 points; in red for fifth straight day (Roundup) - Dec 20, 2011
- Sensex gains for third straight week, up 584 points (Weekly market review) - Jan 21, 2012
- Sensex surges 434 points on rate cut and policy push hopes (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- US stocks lower amid weak economic data - Apr 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 138 points lower, ignores positive global cues - Aug 25, 2011
- Sensex rises on positive global cues - Mar 09, 2012
- Wall Street rises on monetary easing hopes - Jun 20, 2012
- US stocks jump on encouraging jobs data (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: amp, association of realtors, decline, disappointing earnings, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, energy giant, exxon, first quarter, indexes, jobless benefits, labor department, nasdaq composite index, national association of realtors, pending home sales index, rally, record oil prices, s 500, xinhua