US stocks rally led by banksJune 23rd, 2012 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 23 (IANS) US stocks closed higher Friday after a huge sell-off in the previous session, boosted by the financial sector despite multiple credit ratings downgrades by Moody’s.
Ratings agency Moody’s Thursday downgraded 15 financial institutions, including several large US banks. However, the market had fully anticipated the move.
The financial stocks Friday rallied strongly by more than 1 percent, as investors ignored the downgrade actions, reports Xinhua.
Also providing support, the European Central Bank said it would soon accept a wider range of collateral for loans, including lower rated securities and some asset-backed debt secured by car loans as well as consumer and commercial mortgages.
The announcement was the central bank’s latest effort to help ease European banks’ funding stresses.
However, Germany’s closely-watched Ifo index of business confidence hit a two-year low in June, raising concerns that the eurozone’s biggest economy might lose steam in the future.
The Dow Jones industrial average gained 67.21 points, or 0.53 percent, to close at 12,640.78. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was up 9. 51 points, or 0.72 percent, to 1,335.02. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose 33.33 points, or 1.17 percent, to 2,892.42.
- Sensex slips sharply on negative Asian cues - Dec 19, 2011
- Sensex down 112 points, capital goods, bank stocks hit (Roundup) - Dec 19, 2011
- US stocks slump after Fed offers bleak outlook (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- Sensex ends 169 points lower on poor IIP numbers - Nov 11, 2011
- Moody's downgrades Indian banks, stocks tumble - Nov 09, 2011
- Sensex loses 221 points in volatile trading (Weekly market review) - Oct 08, 2011
- Sensex dips below 16,000; global cues, SBI downgrade weigh - Oct 04, 2011
- Sensex ends in red; SBI, ICICI Bank slump - Oct 05, 2011
- Indian markets sluggish, ape Asian peers - Feb 14, 2012
- 12 British banks downgraded by Moody's - Oct 07, 2011
- Sensex closes 207 points up, banking, realty, auto stocks rally (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Sensex plunges 466 points on global turmoil (Weekly market review) - Aug 13, 2011
- Sensex closes 276 points lower weighed by TCS, negative cues - Oct 18, 2011
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Banks' downgrade pushes Sensex 207 points down - Nov 09, 2011
Tags: agency moody, business confidence, car loans, collateral, commercial mortgages, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, downgrades, european banks, eurozone, financial institutions, financial sector, financial stocks, june 23, nasdaq composite index, s 500, steam, stresses, xinhua