US stocks plunge after weak jobs reportJune 2nd, 2012 - 3:16 am ICT by IANS
New York, June 2 (IANS) US stocks plunged Friday after a highly-anticipated report showed the recovery in the jobs market was sharply slowing down.
According to the Labor Department, the US economy added only 69,000 new jobs in May, the smallest gain in a year, while economists were expecting a much stronger increase.
Meanwhile, the unemployment rate climbed to 8.2 percent from April’s 8.1 percent, which was the first increase since June 2011, Xinhua reported.
Adding to the fears in the market, manufacturing data from both Europe and China offered a bleak view for the global economy.
Manufacturing activity in Germany, France and Spain fell to the lowest levels since mid-2009, while China’s manufacturing activity also fell more than expected in May due to a reduction in new orders.
Concerns over Europe’s debt woes continued to weigh on the market. The International Monetary Fund denied rumors that Spain has requested assistance, saying there is no plan to offer direct assistance to the struggling nation.
In midday trading, the Dow Jones industrial average lost 158.18 points, or 1.28 percent, to 12,235.27. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was down 22.60 points, or 1.72 percent, to 1,287.73. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 57.57 points, or 2.04 percent, to 2,769.77.
- US stocks tumble on disappointing jobs data - May 05, 2012
- Oil tumbles on weak US jobs report - Jun 02, 2012
- Wall Street extends loss - May 18, 2012
- US stocks up in holiday-shortened session - Jul 04, 2012
- China's non-manufacturing sector growth goes up (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Sensex falls 147 percent, metal, power stocks slump - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex in green; realty, power stocks gain - Jan 13, 2012
- Sensex slips sharply in afternoon trade - Dec 16, 2011
- Sensex closes 117 points up, metals gain (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2012
- U.S. unemployment rate drops to 8.1 percent, lowest in 3 years - May 05, 2012
- US Federal Reserve ready to act if Europe crisis worsens - Jun 08, 2012
- US stocks rally after Bernanke's remarks - Mar 27, 2012
- Wall Street fall on European concerns (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Wall Street flat as investors weigh US data, Europe - Jan 05, 2012
- China manufacturing expands in April (Lead) - May 01, 2012
Tags: amp, bleak view, debt woes, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economists, fears, germany france, global economy, international monetary fund, labor department, midday trading, nasdaq composite index, new jobs, plunge, s 500, spain, unemployment rate, xinhua