US stocks mixed amid thin trading (Lead)December 28th, 2011 - 6:00 am ICT by IANS
New York, Dec 28 (IANS) US stocks ended narrowly mixed amid thin trading Tuesday, the first trading session after the Christmas Holiday, Xinhua reported.
Major indexes went higher in early trading after a latest report from the Conference Board Tuesday showed confidence among US consumers rose to the highest level in eight months, suggesting American consumers were more upbeat about the economic outlook at the end of a turbulent year.
According to the New York-based organization, its Consumer Confidence Index rose to 64.5 in December from 55.2 in November.
However, the upbeat report was dampened by weak housing data. The Standard & Poor’s/Case-Shiller index of 20 city dropped 0.6 percent in October, compared with September, said the Standard & Poor’s monthly report. The index was down 3.4 percent year-on-year.
The Dow Jones industrial average dipped 2.65 points, or 0.02 percent, to 12,291.35. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was up 0.10 points, or 0.01 percent, to 1,265.43. The Nasdaq Composite Index rose 6.56 points, or 0.25 percent, to 2,625.20.
- US stocks rise in midday trading - Dec 28, 2011
- Wall Street falls sharply amid Libya unrest - Feb 23, 2011
- Wall Street ends May lower, snapping five-month winning streak - Jun 01, 2011
- Wall Street mixed on Fed's modest action - Jun 21, 2012
- US stocks end mixed amid strong earnings - Apr 25, 2012
- US stocks flat after Fed-fuelled rally - Mar 28, 2012
- Wall Street takes breather after Fed-fuelled rally (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- US stocks mixed as investors await Greek deal - Feb 18, 2012
- US stocks mixed amid euro concerns - Feb 16, 2012
- Wall Street flat as investors weigh US data, Europe - Jan 05, 2012
- US stocks up for second day on Greece hope - Jun 29, 2011
- South Korea's consumer confidence rises - Nov 24, 2011
- US consumer confidence continues rise - Dec 28, 2011
- Sensex flat; consumer durables, auto index down (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
Tags: american consumers, based organization, case shiller index, christmas, christmas holiday, consumer confidence index, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, economic outlook, eight months, indexes, nasdaq composite index, new york dec, s 500, stocks, trading session, turbulent year, xinhua