US stocks gain as surprising earnings overshadow GDP reportApril 30th, 2009 - 5:03 am ICT by IANS
New York, April 30 (DPA) US stocks posted strong gains Wednesday as most companies that reported profits for the first quarter beat estimates on the day, drowning out reports of a sharp contraction in the US economy over the first three months.
Time Warner, Goodyear Tire & Rubber, DreamWorks Animation SKG and Hess Corp all beat analysts’ expectations, offering some hope that the worst may be over and driving all major US stock indices up by more than 2 percent.
The Commerce Department said US gross domestic product fell 6.1 percent in the first three months of the year, worse than expected and capping the worst two-quarter performance of the US economy in five decades.
But the Federal Reserve said the economy was beginning to stabilize in the last few weeks and decided to keep its benchmark interest rate unchanged at a record low of 0-0.25 percent.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average added 168.78 points, or 2.11 percent, to 8,185.73. The broader Standard & Poor’s 500 Index jumped 18.48 points, or 2.16 percent, to 873.64. The technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index was up 38.13 points, or 2.28 percent, to 1,711.94.
The US currency dropped against the euro to 75.33 euro cents from 76.11 euro cents on Tuesday. But the dollar gained against the Japanese currency to 97.71 yen from 96.41 yen.
- Wall Street falls on swine flu, banking fears - Apr 29, 2009
- US stocks mixed after Chrysler bankruptcy - May 01, 2009
- US stocks rally on Fed outlook - Aug 13, 2009
- US stocks gain on financial firms - Mar 11, 2010
- Small gains for US stocks as Fed keeps rates steady - Nov 05, 2009
- Rupee slides below 56 against dollar - May 23, 2012
- US stocks edge lower, despite consumer optimism - Dec 30, 2009
- Economic optimism spurs US stocks - Apr 21, 2010
- Japan's exports fell in October - Nov 21, 2011
- Rupee sinks to 56.18 against dollar (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- US stocks surge on first trading day of 2010 - Jan 05, 2010
- US stocks surge as economy returns to growth - Oct 30, 2009
- Oil rises on positive data - Mar 14, 2012
- US stocks decline as tech sector overshadows positive GDP report - Jan 30, 2010
- US stocks rise on improved consumer confidence - Mar 31, 2010
Tags: benchmark interest rate, commerce department, contraction, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, dreamworks, dreamworks animation, dreamworks animation skg, first three months, gdp report, goodyear, goodyear tire rubber, gross domestic product, japanese currency, months of the year, nasdaq composite index, quarter performance, stock indices, us currency