US stocks fall on bleak earningsJanuary 14th, 2012 - 8:46 am ICT by IANS
New York, Jan 14 (IANS) US stocks closed lower Friday as JP Morgan Chase reported worse-than-expected fourth-quarter earnings, while downgrades of several European countries spurred new concerns over the region’s debt crisis.
Investors had expected rating agency Standard & Poor’s to downgrade some European countries’ credit ratings Friday as it had put 15 countries on Creditwatch Negative in early December, Xinhua reported.
The finance minister of France had confirmed before the market close that the country’s triple-A would be cut by one notch. S&P; later announced to cut the country’s credit rating by one notch from AAA to AA+.
Other European countries like Italy, Spain and Portugal are also on the list of possible downgrades.
The large scale credit rating downgrades worried investors as risk-aversion appetite weighed on the market.
Meanwhile, the fourth quarter earnings of JP Morgan Chase missed the market’s expectations as both its revenue and profit dropped significantly. The bank’s poor quarterly performance dragged the banking sectors and pressured the market.
The Dow Jones industrial average lost 48.96 points, or 0.39 percent, to 12,422.06. The Standard & Poor’s 500 was down 6.41 points, or 0.49 percent, to 1,289.09. The Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 14.03 points, or 0.51 percent, to 2,710.67.
- US stocks slump after Fed offers bleak outlook (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- S&P; puts 15 euro zone nations on negative watch - Dec 06, 2011
- Germany calls for European rating agencies after S&P; downgrade - Jan 16, 2012
- US stocks fall amid Greece uncertainties (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Sensex rises 305 points during week (Weekly market review) - Jan 14, 2012
- US stocks end lower in holiday-shortened session - Nov 26, 2011
- US markets suffer sharpest drop since 2008 - Aug 09, 2011
- Wall Street rises on China hope - Sep 13, 2011
- Wall Street rises on monetary easing hopes - Jun 20, 2012
- US rating downgrade won't hurt Indian exports: Scindia - Aug 29, 2011
- US stocks rally led by banks - Jun 23, 2012
- Wall Street extends loss - May 18, 2012
- Wall Street down as Bernanke rules out immediate stimulus - Jul 15, 2011
- Wall Street recovers from last week's losses - Aug 16, 2011
- S&P;'s rating downgrade wrong decision: US official - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: appetite, credit rating, creditwatch, debt crisis, dow jones, dow jones industrial, dow jones industrial average, downgrades, european countries, finance minister, fourth quarter earnings, jp morgan, jp morgan chase, large scale, nasdaq composite index, notch, quarterly performance, risk aversion, s 500, xinhua